US Government to Decrease Number of Gateways

Tim

Supreme [H]ardness
Responding to issues regarding cyber-attacks and security, the Federal Government has mandated the reduction of the number of Internet Gateways from around 4000 to 50.

The TIC plan to create a more secure perimeter between Uncle Sam’s internal networks and the free-fire zone that dominates the external Internet echoes a project that the Defense Department launched seven years ago.

Certainly took them long enough. :p

Cool- they won't have to unplug-plug in again that giant Linksys router so often.:D

wont that cause some serious bottle necking? or major latency?

It could, but we are talking about the governments gateways and not the internet in general. Your connection at home should not be affected. If you are looking to play TF2 or tun torrents while at work at a government facility, then this could be a problem.

Next Week "Screw it guys, we're going back to telegraph...for security reasons".

Maybe now they can actually solve their Shuntwinder problems. (If you were in DoD IT, you know the joke.)
... nah. They'll just set up some 5.8GHz directionals and steal WiFi from Starbucks for the base.

Except the US isn't going to block the public?

He was making a play on the great wall of china

Anywho, from 4000 to 50? That's a bigass drop. God forbid we do it in increments to see if it fucks things up first.

4000 to 50? Sounds like a lofty goal.

The infrastrucutre changes would be immense.

Anywho, from 4000 to 50? That's a bigass drop. God forbid we do it in increments to see if it fucks things up first.

Any government work automatically divides itself into increments - often very small increment with vast amount of idle time between them, in fact.:p

They're just cutting off some of the series of smaller tubes and re-routing them into bigger ones.

They're just cutting off some of the series of smaller tubes and re-routing them into bigger ones.

I hope they've got the pressure worked out... I don't want any informtion 'sploding onto my screen.

Back