USB Diagnostic tool?

Satyrist

Gawd
It appears quite possible that the usb ports on my rig have shit themselves.

The motherboard is a Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS, and it might have shorted the ports out. I can see signs of a connection if I hook a usb mouse or the like up to it, (the mouse led lights up) but peripherals are completely unresponsive; Nothing shows up in Device Manager under XP as well.It's not the mouse, as it works fine using a usb-ps/2 converter.

I've got a led usb cable as well, both ends are lit...It goes to a usb printer, which of course isn't being seen either. :(

Is there any sort of diagnostic software out there that might be able to verify that the ports are shorted/dead?

Thanks. :(

Get a linux live boot cd or something and boot the machine to it to test the usb ports. That would tell you if it is software or hardware.

Welp, I did go and hook up all affected peripherals to my separate Ubuntu Dapper box,

Logitech usb mouse
Wacom usb tablet
Canon ip3000 usb printer

And they're all showing up, and working.

Tried running the affected machine with a Knoppix cd, I couldn't see anything.

As somewhat of a side note, the affected machine occasionally has issues cold booting, til I unhook power to both of the sata hdd's in it. After it boots with them disconnected, powering down and hooking them back up gets the machine to boot fine.

*sigh* I guess the machine works fine otherwise, aside from pooched usb ports.

I've somewhat been looking to go Core2Duo anyway from Opt144, maybe this could be an excuse. :eek:

Devices now work after putting in a usb 2.0 card I had.

Dunno why the ports died, (all of a sudden) but I wasn't horribly interested in dropping another fortune for an upgrade...Not yet anyway.

Ive seen quite a few on board ones go bad, and for whatever reason the ones in the front seem to go first, maybe because they are usually the ones used the most especially plugging in and out:confused: Ive even seen a few where the front ones didnt work out of the box, and bios settings etc. all seemed good? A USB card usually seems to do the trick, and you can always add a hub if you're running low on open ports

Back