Usb network adapter out of range?

91ZX

Limp Gawd
Yesterday I bought a linksys AE2500 usb network adapter. So I set it up on the computer downstairs from the router, roughly 30 ft distance. There is a desktop running a linksys pci card directly next to it. So I fire the computer up it see's the network but it won't connect to it. Then I take the computer up to the room the router is in and it connects. The range on the adapter says 300 ft and I do realize that there are walls and other obstructions that cause that number to fall but I find it hard to believe that the adapter is out of range but I can't think of anything else to explain it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

what is your wireless router model ? (check the specs and setting G/N mode ?)
how many bars of signal does your adapter pick up ?

for wireless, it takes TWO to tango :) so not just the adapter side.

*I see your AE2500 is N-type, does your router also N-type ?

Router is also N-type, If this router and adapter aren't jiving how could it work in my room?

router is wrt160n

Yesterday I bought a linksys AE2500 usb network adapter. So I set it up on the computer downstairs from the router, roughly 30 ft distance. There is a desktop running a linksys pci card directly next to it. So I fire the computer up it see's the network but it won't connect to it. Then I take the computer up to the room the router is in and it connects. The range on the adapter says 300 ft and I do realize that there are walls and other obstructions that cause that number to fall but I find it hard to believe that the adapter is out of range but I can't think of anything else to explain it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

The desktop's WiFi card might be "drowning out" the signal to and from the AE2500. Does the AE2500 work when the desktop is turned off?

Yes I have tried it with the other computer turned off.

I would if I had one, I kinda wanna buy a cheap adapter to see if it will connect.

Back