USB or Optical?

bexamous

[H]ard|Gawd
Does it make any difference? I got a Audio-GD Fun that has both USB & Optical in. Optical is from a Realtek ALC889.

Does it make any difference? I got a Audio-GD Fun that has both USB & Optical in. Optical is from a Realtek ALC889.

Do an A/B comparison and see. Given most headphones and computer speakers, you probably won't be able to tell the difference, not unless the DAC used via its USB is spectacularly bad.

I guess I should :/ It came with an optical cable but I can't get it to reach to my computer. It looks like a real nice cable, even tho its optical and doesn't matter, still pretty. I guess I'll see if I can order a longer one off monoprice for cheap.

Actually, does it use the same DAC for both? Hmm maybe I should look up stuff. Why would it have two DACs built in it?

I'd really doubt there being two different DACs.

The only thing I can think of is running through USB would bypass any software coloring being done by the Realtek chip.

COAX

/thread :p

btw nice choice on that DAC, audio-gd makes some really good products i got compass, dac19mk3 kai c2c my self, too bad all three are discontinued now

Seems like USB has no advantages. I ordered an optical cable and when I compared the two they both sounded same to me... so I just stuck with optical.

Few days ago I found another reason optical is better... USB, at least on the Fun, is limited to 44.1khz/16bit audio. Optical works up to 96/24-- they seem to advertise 192/24 but it wouldn't work for me. In any case, I've got a few random CDs in 96/24. Doubt I'll be able to hear any difference, but what the hell.

BTW Yeah Audio-GD stuff is really nice. I followed Compass development for so damn long and when it was finally available I was broke. I stopped paying attention. Recently I had some cash, went to buy the Compass and found out it had already been discontinued, lol. My Fun is pretty much stock right now, eventually I wanna tinker with it though.

Seems like USB has no advantages. I ordered an optical cable and when I compared the two they both sounded same to me... so I just stuck with optical.

Few days ago I found another reason optical is better... USB, at least on the Fun, is limited to 44.1khz/16bit audio. Optical works up to 96/24-- they seem to advertise 192/24 but it wouldn't work for me. In any case, I've got a few random CDs in 96/24. Doubt I'll be able to hear any difference, but what the hell.

Really? So you are saying that my USB DAC, a HRT Music Streamer II, advertised as being 96/24, is actually limited to 44.1/16? I don't think so.

EDIT: You are not actually saying it, but you are somewhat hinting that USB is not good at all. I think I have actually read somewhere that USB might just beat optical in some cases, but I might be mistaken about that.

Either the USB audio class itself, or the ubiquitous TI PCM270x series of ICs that implement it in lots of these devices, is limited to 16/48 or less. Nothing precludes custom drivers or different ICs doing better, and there are plenty of devices out there that do.

I'd probably go optical as well in your situation, at least if you can find some information on getting 'bit perfect' output of your Realtek onboard. The clock might be crap, but that will be the case with standard USB audio class anyway.

Really? So you are saying that my USB DAC, a HRT Music Streamer II, advertised as being 96/24, is actually limited to 44.1/16? I don't think so.

Sorry I was only referring to the USB DAC I have, thats why I added 'at least on the Fun' to preclude any other USB dacs. ;)

just get a usb to coax device (musiland monitor USD 01 or M2tech Hiface will do 24/192Khz) and connect it that way. so you can listen to your hi-res files without using the onboard realtek.

Back