USB ports switching to the wrong speed

Jim S.

n00b
I have an Intel D975XBX board with a Core2 Duo 6600. I'm running XP Pro SP3 with all updates applied. The system used to have a slightly annoying problem whereas my card reader, connected to one of the spare USB headers on the motherboard, would suddenly switch to low-speed upon inserting a card and stay that way til I rebooted. That was tolerable. However, lately it seems that when I bring my system out of hibernation, there's about a 50% chance that it will decide that the port that my USB HDTV tuner is connected to is low-speed, which completely disables the tuner til I reboot. I should point out here that I'm not physically changing which ports any of my USB devices are plugged into, everything stays plugged in all the time. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I googled for information but the only thing I could find concerning USB speed issues pertained to earlier versions of XP. I updated the BIOS and chipset drivers but it didn't help.

FWIW after I applied SP3, I had weird USB hits on a biostar board. I turned it off for the night, and the next days it would ALWAYS register low speed usbs. I did a "mobo reset defaults" and rebooted and never had another problem.

What's your BIOS setting set to for USB? Setting to 'hi-speed' will drop it down to USB 1.1 speeds. Ensure it is not set at that setting. (Bottom of page 17 in your user manual)

Back