USB's stopped working, now so have the whole PC!

JSGTPD

n00b
Hey all!

Here's my situation. Yesterday life was fine, then all the sudden my USB mouse stopped working. Weird. So i rebooted. Still wasn't working, ok, so i tried a USB memory stick, kept getting a "Windows doesn't recognize this device" error. I updated my BIOS, tried resetting, unplugged my USB's fro the mobo and still nothing, so I gave up for the night.

So this morning i thought i'll just install this USB card i have and use that for my USBs. So i powered down installed the card, then went to boot up and nothing. Now my PC wont start! I still have the light on the mobo working, i have tried unplugging the PSU for 30 mins, and still nothing. Any ideas? I work on my machine 12 hours a day and right now i'm losing money, any help would be appreciated!!

The PC
Windows 7
EVGA X58 SLI LE Intel X58 Socket LGA1366 MB
Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz 8M LGA1366 CPU
Corsair XMS 6144MB PC10666 DDR3 1333MHz (3 x2048)
Seagate 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G
Ultra LSP750 750w Power Supply
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked 896MB
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case

OK that worked to get it to turn on Thanks.

Now it wont go to POST, it just sits with an error code of FF on the mobo.

i would try another psu if u can, and remove the cmos battery as well when u reset

I removed the battery, reset cmos and nothing new other than the FF. It doesn't even show anything on the screen, just sits there.

So i got a PSU from another comp, just plugged it into the MB (do i have to hook anything else up?) And it did nothing new :(

Check you device manager and see if there are anything not being recognized. If there are, then try to update drivers.

I wish I could! This wont even get to post, nothing shows up on the screen and on the onboard temperature gauge on the MOBO i get a FF error. Which occording to EVGA means Post.... i'm so lost.

maybe ur vid card is loose somehow? try the cable on the back make sure its in all the way, and make sure the card is inserted into the pci-e slot. try it in another slot too

:(

Tried my Card in a different slot, nothing.
Tried a different monitor. Nothing.
Removed RAM. Nothing.

I'm thinking this mobo is toast. And i forgot to register it when i bought it 4 months ago, i think i'm screwed.

Oh that would be so good lol

Now i just have to figure out if its the PSU or the mobo. I'va taken all my ram and cards out and still the same thing. Looking back at how it all started (with the USB's going) i don't think it's the PSU cause that wouldnt effect my USB's right?

BTW Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help i really appreciate it

Well, sent my mobo into EVGA, paid over $100 in shipping to get it there and back fast, installed it today annnnnd........ same F'n FF error. :( I'm lost could it be my chip?

If you remove all the RAM and try to start it up, does it beep like a crazy man on fire? If not, something (CPU/motherboard) is bad. I have seen motherboards come back from RMA completely dead. You think companies have QA to catch that, they don't.

Did you by any chance write down your original serial number. Are you sure they sent you a different board?

Yes tried all that.

I wrote down the serial number AND put a tiny little dot with marker on the board and i checked its new SN and no dot so its a new board, now they want me to send this one back for RMA, thats another $100 in shipping! I'm so lost on this, i just want it fixed, i may have to give up and get a computer shop to look at it *shutters*

Most likely the motherboard, and just say you sent your registration in. What, you didn't receive it?! I'm so angry!!!! ...etc.

One more thing to try before sending it back , try a barebone setup (cpu, MB, Ram, PSU, and GPU) outside of the case. It's always possible that something was shorting out on the case.

Thanks Cajunheat, i have tried that too, there really is nothing i haven;t done. So do i take it a a computer repair shop so they can dfiagnose it for me? Test with a new mobo, or a new cpu or really anything else. Or do I send back this RMA'd Mobo and get another mobo and hope they dont send me another DOA replacment?

Can you try this?

1.) Unplug your computer from the wall socket
2.) Remove your motherboard battery
3.) Hold your power button for 30 seconds
4.) Put your battery back in
5.) Plug your computer in the wall socket

Now try to start it and lets see what happens.

Shorts can happen in weird places. My PC was doing something similar to this a few months back, and I had to take the PSU out and clean the screw holes. I was told that the PSU might use this as an additional grounding location (I don't know if this is true) but it worked just fine after the fact.

What [X]eltic said could help too.

Edit: The reason I had to clean them was because it came back from being powder-coated and I was taking the paint off.

All started with USB, right...
I bet you grounded a USB port. Try booting up without any of the case USB ports plugged into the MB headers. If it turns out that one is damaged all you need to do is straighten/seperate the pins so they are not touching each other or the housing. Of course you won't be able to use that port again, though.

Back