Use router as a wireless adapter sort of?

Rtstrider

Gawd
Here is the config I want to set up: Cable Modem->Wireless Router->Wireless Router->Xbox 360. I have a spare wireless router sitting around, is there anyway I can set it up to feed off of my main wireless router. In other words, my Xbox is in a room that I cannot run cable to and I'm real short on funds (I have a $2,700 transmission rebuild (tranny died 4 weeks ago) and an $1,800 surgery to pay off) so I really can't afford the wireless xbox 360 adapter. I'd also like to have this as a sort of project. Is this possible? If so how would I enable this router to act as a wireless bridge?

EDIT: I found this: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=36&threadid=1513386 it's pretty informative, but what I want to know is how should I set up the last octet in the 2nd Router (bridge), and why does it list that octet as .129?

EDIT #2: Also why is the last octet in the subnet mask .128?

Ok I figured out why the last octet on the ip is .129, it can be anything I want, it just can't interefere with the dhcp scope on the main router. In other words if my last octet in the dhcp scope on my main router ended at .50, I could start the new router's dhcp scope at .51. I have yet to look at a subnet calculator to figure out why the last octet of the new subnet mask is .128.

So no replies on the .128 question? Do I have to use that as the last octet in the 255 subnet?

255.255.255.128 is a 25 bit mask that results in a single subnet with 126 hosts. The host range would be aaa.bbb.ccc.129 - aaa.bbb.ccc.254

I did not look at the articel you linked, but assume that is just an example of an IP scheme you can use. I think the bigger question is, can your AP's operate as bridges?

Back