Used Raptor...Worth it?

Do raptors really increase boot times? cause if it does, I would buy two, make a raid storage for my OS and games only. Good idea?

WD360GD's firmware is obsolete, and it doesn't deliver the same level of seek performance as its bigger borther the WD740GD: Clicky shows the WD360GD bringing up the rear in a comparison at SR with three mid range 7200RPM drives.

However, on the flip side, if you don't need more than 35GB, you're getting it for half the cost of any of the drives in the comparison, and it probably has 3-4 years of warranty left. A solid buy, but don't expect it to work wonders.

So what should I go for then? 74gig? Or just go all out and get a 150gig? (buy them for retail prices)

Relentless3O said:
So what should I go for then? 74gig? Or just go all out and get a 150gig? (buy them for retail prices)

"Speed cost money, son. How fast do you want to go?" - from the movie Mad Max

Seriously,
I'm replacing a couple of 36GB Raptors that I had in a RAID0 array with a 150GB Raptor.
At least 1 of them is going into my SFF Lan Party Computer.....Maybe both if I can figure out how to get them in there.

I mean, im going to have enough money for a 150gb raptor, but Im not sure if it is worth blowing my really good monitor money on a 150gb raptor when I have a 7200.9 120gig hdd for storage, and I guess my games and OS will go on my raptor, and everything else on my 120gig. This sucks though, I have to backup all my files onto my dads external now, but I really want boosted performance in games AND booting, I also want smoother performance, so I guess getting a 74gb raptor for 150 or buying a used one would be worth it..

Don't listen to all the "obsolete" mumbo-jumbo. The 36's are just fine performance-wise, it's just a matter of whether the capacity is enough for your needs. If I didn't need more storage, I'd still have mine and still be perfectly content with them.

Relentless3O said:
I mean, im going to have enough money for a 150gb raptor, but Im not sure if it is worth blowing my really good monitor money on a 150gb raptor when I have a 7200.9 120gig hdd for storage, and I guess my games and OS will go on my raptor, and everything else on my 120gig. This sucks though, I have to backup all my files onto my dads external now, but I really want boosted performance in games AND booting, I also want smoother performance, so I guess getting a 74gb raptor for 150 or buying a used one would be worth it..

Snatch up the 36GB, it's a good deal. Don't mess with the monitor fund, you won't appreciate the speed increase as much as a new display IMO.

ATW said:
Don't listen to all the "obsolete" mumbo-jumbo. The 36's are just fine performance-wise, it's just a matter of whether the capacity is enough for your needs. If I didn't need more storage, I'd still have mine and still be perfectly content with them.
"Obsolete" is the wrong word; I'd say "outclassed". The newer sata drives have high enough transfer rates (and good enough buffer strategies) that they can match up to a 36GB Raptor, and come within striking distance of a 74gb Raptor.

For $50, I'd go ahead and buy it; it's cheap enough that the not-quite-top-of-the-line performance is tolerable. But if you're looking for a really significant boost in performance over a $100 or $150 large modern disk, you're going to have to look to the 74 or 150gb raptors, depending on budget.

unhappy_mage said:
"Obsolete" is the wrong word; I'd say "outclassed". The newer sata drives have high enough transfer rates (and good enough buffer strategies) that they can match up to a 36GB Raptor, and come within striking distance of a 74gb Raptor.

For $50, I'd go ahead and buy it; it's cheap enough that the not-quite-top-of-the-line performance is tolerable. But if you're looking for a really significant boost in performance over a $100 or $150 large modern disk, you're going to have to look to the 74 or 150gb raptors, depending on budget.

QFT

It's worth the $50 just to have the hard drive.
The 36GB Raptor will still out run most of the run of the mill drives on the market. Only the 16MB cache drives will beat it. And one of them would cost more than $50.
Plus, it'd be a perfect drive for a future SFF LAN Party PC. For something like that you just want enough drive for the OS and your Games. Nothing else. And if it get's damaged or stolen you aren't out a lot of money.

And the 36GB drives are still selling for over $100 on newegg.
Get it and sell it for $75.00 on ebay - enhance the Raptor 150 fund.

Back