Used Socket A board won't POST.

sm8000

Gawd
I picked up a used Socket A board with the caveat that it may be dead, I'm not worried about getting a refund as I'm sure the seller will make right if need be. It came with a Barton 2500+, and one or the other (maybe both?) apparently died after an overclock attempt.

I'm testing it by laying it on its cardboard box, plugging in a spare PSU, and the PWR SW wire from a nearby case. I also have some RAM in it an a video card (both known good). I've even got the SPKR wire from another case plugged into it. I initially tried with the Barton it came with, the board would power up (fans spin) but no beeps and no post.

I've since pulled the battery for about half an hour, with the CMOS jumper in Clear (now back to Normal since reseating the battery). Still no beeps nor post. I'm also trying a spare Duron 1.8 but no luck, and I tried changing the FSB jumper. I even switched from DVI to VGA on my X1600 Pro (with its PSU wire connected) but no difference. Just spinning fans.

Is there anything else I can do to test this? I just want to make sure it's really dead before I request a refund. I'd hate to lose this board if it really can work. I've also tried replacing the CMOS battery, no go.

If your sure the power supply is good and powerful enough then the board sounds like its bad...you have it seems covered all bases trying to get it to up and running......refund time may be in order......

Try firing it up without any ram installed an listen for any beeps... then do the same with no video card... if you don't get any beeps, your board is toast....

Check the voltage of the CMOS battery,
Too low and it can make odd things happen.

Thanks everyone, I tried most of the above with no luck, and in fact I just got back from collecting my refund.

How would I check the CMOS voltage? If it's in the BIOS, I can't get into that.

The worst part about this is that the video card I was using to test doesn't work any more. The fan spins up but no display in two systems. There goes my HTPC's X1600 Pro :(

Check the capacitors for buldging or leakage, and replace them. There was a faulty counterfeit batch making the rounds during the time of Socket A. Faulty caps can cause power fluctuations and weird instabilities. Eventually it can cause mosfet failure, and lead to the failure of other components. Try contacting the motherboard manufacturer. Sometimes they will send out replacements.

I wish I had thought of that when I had the board, but I have already given it back and gotten my refund.

Thanks everyone, I tried most of the above with no luck, and in fact I just got back from collecting my refund.

How would I check the CMOS voltage? If it's in the BIOS, I can't get into that.

Take the CMOS battery out from the motherboard and measure the voltage.

Well, I don't know what to measure it with, but it's kinda moot as I don't have the board anymore. Also I did try two different batteries, though perhaps the second wasn't any better. Thanks though for letting me know.

Well, I don't know what to measure it with, but it's kinda moot as I don't have the board anymore. Also I did try two different batteries, though perhaps the second wasn't any better. Thanks though for letting me know.

Use a voltage meter to measure voltage.

Back