Usefulness of Logitech G19 LCD screen

Undercover_Man

[H]ard Surgeon
Hello. I have 4 gaming keyboards I like and I am trying to make a final decision. I am wondering about the actual real life usefulness of the Logitech G19 keyboard.

Does it really help in games?

Do you have to update the keyboard software to include future games as they are released or does it just figure something out automatically?

Does it have a usefulness outside of gaming?

For all you G19 owners, how often does this improve productivity?

Does it have a usefulness in other applications such as photo and/or video editing?

I've read and watched reviews and they don't go much into the LCD screen. Maybe cause there's not much to show, I don't know. :confused:

Let me know what you all think about the LCD screen. I need to start thinking with higher standards to try and eliminate these keyboards to 1. :rolleyes:

I think the LCD screen is a gimmick to get people to pay more for the keyboard. Having used one at a friends house, I found no benefit over a regular keyboard.

EDIT: whoops, my friend has the G15, not the G19. Anyway, I don't think a color screen will change my opinion.

I don't really see too much benefit from having an extra LCD screen, away from your main monitor. Especially when it is that small, and can display limited information. If I am gaming, I sure as hell don't want to look down/away from my main screen too often.

I say get a G11 and call it a day :D

Note I have a G15 not a G19. Same thing minus the color LCD.

Does it really help in games?
No. BF: Bad Company 2 is the only game that offers some useful information for it. WoW is close but is really worthless in the long run. The performance monitor that comes with the drivers is more useful than 95% of the supported LCD game info.

Do you have to update the keyboard software to include future games as they are released or does it just figure something out automatically?
No. Games that support the G1X LCD auto-install/start when the game is launched.

Does it have a usefulness outside of gaming?
Not really unless you want to install a motherboard monitor app that displays on the LCD. Performance Monitor is decent to see how much CPU usage and Ram is being used.

I'd put the money into another monitor. $200 gets you a "good enough" extra screen to use which would satisfy most if not all of your questions above in terms of usefulness. Looking to the side to a large screen is much easier than bending your neck down to look at a tiny screen.

i have a g15, the old old old model and the only thing i really like it for is Everest displaying clock speeds and temps

so you can monitor video/cpu info in games and benchmarks when testing overclocks, the color version is just a gimmick and doesnt have much use for me

Well I'm trying to decide between this and the SideWinder X6, Cyborg, and Eclipse III.

G19 - I like the 12 macro keys on the left and the custom lighting; not as big of a selling point though. The LCD would be the big seller if I knew how much usefulness it actually provided in game usage and if it had other uses outside of gaming.

X6 - I like the detachable keypad for left-handed use while using joystick/keyboard flight games, however, I've seen a separate product selling a keypad which can be used for macros too. In-game macro recording is a big plus too. Damn near all of the keypad can be used as macro keys. Only red backlighting though. Prolly wouldn't show up well in daylight, but then again, daylight would be brighter than backlighting anyways. :rolleyes:

Cyborg - Close to eliminating because of ugliness to Eclipse III which seems to be the exact same thing. Can't tell the difference.

Eclipse III - Touch-sensitive 3-zoned lighting and volume controls is cool. 12 macro keys is nice, but not fond of half of them being on the right. Company will send you replacement keys if you email them when/if they wear out. If I can find that keypad that can be used as macros for me to put on the left of the keyboard, and if I find the LCD on the G19 isn't so useful, then this would be the winner I believe.

I'm close to eliminating the Cyborg, but I really like the other three equally. If I could determine if the LCD screen on the G19 wasn't so useful, then that would be the next to be eliminated, however, I've read ppl's comments saying "it's the best thing ever" and "they would be lost without it", but give no reason why it is so useful. Which brings me back to my original question.

Last edited:
Back