Using 20 pin PSU on a 24 pin motherboard

ReNeGaDe*

Limp Gawd
Hi all, it's been a long time since I was on here and I tried searching around so forgive me if this has been asked a hundred times!

Basically my old s754 rig gave up the ghost so I got a shiny new Asus A8V-VM mobo today, along with a new processor. I fitted it all in only to find there's a 24 pin motherboard power connector on the mobo. So off I rushed into town to buy an adapter but having just got back I've realised that I bought the wrong one, I have one for plugging a 24 pin supply into a 20 pin mobo!

To cut to the chase, is there any simple way of getting round this? Such as just plugging the 20 pin into the 24 pins and which way? I don't really have time to order off the net as I need this up and running asap before I go off on me hols

thanks for any help

It can only go in one way, and yes, for the most part, you can still use a decent 20 pin power supply in a 24 pin motherboard, no adapter needed, as long as your manual doesn't specifically say that you must use a 24 pin unit. Those extra 4 pins will simply remain unoccupied.

For a long time, I was using my old Antec Truepower 430 unit (20 pin) in my Gigabyte K8N SLi motherboard, with no problems.

Back