using a network ready printer with a router?

onetrueday

[H]ard|Gawd
gosh, I feel like a f*ckin noob.

I have a brother HL-5170dn printer that is network ready.

I'm using a linksys wrt54gc router.
Satellite

I think I'm missing the point of this whole setup. Can I hook the printer up to the router to allow the other computers on the router to use it?

I've attempted to setup a tcpip port and install the drivers without success.

I think I'm missing something crucial!

thanks

you probably have to install with their cd and then select network and it will find hte printer and you can generally configure the ip and such through the cd setup. thats the way it is with the budget HPs.

There is usually a key combination on the printer that will give print out a configuration page. This will contain its dhcp ip address information. Open your webbrowser and navigate to 192.168.x.x or whatever the ip address is. Set your IP to manual, and add the printer to the machines that needed.

There is usually a key combination on the printer that will give print out a configuration page. This will contain its dhcp ip address information. Open your webbrowser and navigate to 192.168.x.x or whatever the ip address is. Set your IP to manual, and add the printer to the machines that needed.

very cool...

I couldn't find it in the manual, but finally discovered how to print that out. press go 3x!

In the end, I believe it's a router problem. The router will simply not see that the printer is present. Or, perhaps the network cable is faulty.

I always set the IP of a networked printer to a static IP.
Usually easily done through the web admin interface of most networkable printers

Back