Using GOG Galaxy instead of each service's loader

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
Just curious if anyone has been able to test or switch to using only the GOG Galaxy 2.0 launcher. My wife and I each have accounts for several services, Steam, Origin, etc. It would be nice on all of our computers to not need a half dozen launchers loaded.

Has anyone been able to use just GOG's launcher? If so, have you found anything to not be working or any features you are missing?

GOG is not a replacement, it just helps you see all your games in one place. It still uses the native launchers for each game.

I've used it since it came out of closed beta. The only real issue I've had is every now and then it will log me out of all my linked accounts (which is annoying to log back into 5-6 accounts).

^ This. It's a front-end, not a replacement.
If you have a Steam game (like Half-Life 2), launching it from within GOG 2.0 will simply launch the Steam client and run the game. You still have to have the game and Steam installed. Ditto with Epic, uPlay, Origin, Battle.net, etc.
You can do the same thing in Steam if you want. Just use the "Add non-Steam Game to my Library" function. It's even more flexible because it allows you to add emulators and such. GOG only supports games that has been pre-cataloged in their database. It pulls the box artwork for you, which Steam doesn't, though.

Ugh, thanks for the info. I was hoping to not need all these launchers installed. Damn.

Agree with the above, i would only add that if the game is drm free, you can link directly to the .exe in Galaxy and skip the other client, this is possible with some of the epic games. there might be a few steam games this is possible with? probably not many though

Back