Using HDMI for Audio and Video??

Mac[X-D]

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, i want to get a ATI 3XXX series card that will do both Audio and Video through HDMI, my question is, the Video card will do ALL the audio for my HTPC right, not just watching movies using the Rom? and i can take out my audio card?

or does widows still need a standard audio card to output certain forms of audio?

thnx

Depends. Are you doing, like, regular DVD and TV stuff or do you want to put a Blu Ray drive in there from some Hidef DVDs? If it's regular DVD and TV then it doesn't matter, the ATI card will work just fine with it and you don't need a sound card. If you want Blu Ray then ditch the entire idea and don't even bother with it. You'll need a sound card for Blu Ray if you want to use the Hidef audio tracks. Check the sticky for some links on HDMI.

It really depends on what you're going into. What receiver are you using or are you just going straight to the TV?

sorry i guess i should have given more info, it will be going to my HDMI switch, which goes to my DVD/Receiver and it will be playing movies and tv from VMC as well as music library.

i have PS3 and a 360 that run into the HDMI switch and to the receiver and works great, so no HD content on the HTPC but i am putting my DVD library on to me HTPC using a 1:1 rip.

so basically if i buy a 3850 i want it to act as my primary sound output using the HDMI out.

Back