USING logitech z-5500 for a home theater?

SofaKing

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm planning to buy a set of logitech z-5500's for my home theater.. I want to use it for my TV and DVD player, but is that possible? If so, how? My TV is a sony 55-in KDFE55A20..

If I used this as the basis for audio for my home theater, would it perform well? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I heard from people that it's pretty stupid to use speakers like this with a TV of this caliber, but I'm really looking to save money, that's why I even considered this option. Would the performance be okay if I used this with my home theater?

well... it will "work"... you'll get sound from multiple speakers (if, as douglite notes, you use a surround processor receiver's pre-outs)...

but... imo....

no, it won't perform "well"... it won't nearly perform up to the quality of the tv...

are there any godo home theater audio systems you can recommend me then? preferably under $400!

i wouldn't say anything is "stupid"...

but i would say that spending how many dollars on a widescreen hdtv (and it's a kick-butt set, fwiw) and then attempting to scrimp on speakers is "misguided"...

imo, those speakers would be completely unsatisfactory for a home theatre experience...

you didn't really answer my question..

SofaKing said:
are there any godo home theater audio systems you can recommend me then? preferably under $400!

i'm gonna have a problem there, because (to me), the audio portion of the home theatre experience is at least as important as the video... you only have 400 to spend on the speakers AND the receiver AND the dvd player?

remember, you are dealing with a 55" set... which means your ideal seating position (for hd/movie viewing) will be approx 10-11 feet away (at a minimum, and to compromise for good SD viewing, you'll probably want to be about 12 feet away)... which means your mains should be spaced somewhere around that distance apart... you have to "fill" a lot of air with sound...

this is probably in the wrong topic...

i already have the dvd player, 400 to spend for the audio system and receiver

ccotenj said:
see my next post... your post beat mine in...

having an attitude won't help... :p
i wasn't aiming to be rude, sorry if you took it that way

probably the onkyo htib is the best bet for that price range... others may come up with something different...

i'd still consider it unsatisfactory... but that's imo...

SofaKing said:

cables to put it together with... i.e. digital cable from dvd to receiver... component cables for video... speaker wire... etc.

200 sq ft isn't huge, so either the fluance or Onkyo sets should be able to get loud enough. I know people with both, and they work pretty well in similarly sized rooms. Don't know about the Tykes, but I'm guessing they'd work also.

i believe that mister x has the fluances, so a direct comment on those can be made by him...

the onkyo one that fugu points out is what i had in mind when i said onkyo htib (i believe there's also a 5.1 version of that available)...

no experience with the rockets, although many people seem to like them...

200 sq ft? what are the dimensions? how many doors/windows?

fugu said:
200 sq ft isn't huge, so either the fluance or Onkyo sets should be able to get loud enough. I know people with both, and they work pretty well in similarly sized rooms. Don't know about the Tykes, but I'm guessing they'd work also.
thanks. i think i might buy a 50 in version of that TV anyway, so maybe I could spend a bit more on the audio system. I think i'll buy an onkyo set

ccotenj said:
i believe that mister x has the fluances, so a direct comment on those can be made by him...

the onkyo one that fugu points out is what i had in mind when i said onkyo htib (i believe there's also a 5.1 version of that available)...

no experience with the rockets, although many people seem to like them...

200 sq ft? what are the dimensions? how many doors/windows?
dimensions? about 10x19.

one glass door, 4 windows.

fugu said:

true, they'll get loud enough to fill that space (assuming correct positioning, not too many room openings, etc.)...

i think my point all along here has been is that the audio portion of the budget didn't match the video portion... :) imo, i think that once you fire up something that is really audio intensive on that set (and like i said in an earlier post, that is a SWEET set), you are going to be somewhat disappointed that the audio doesn't match the intensity of the video... to be really honest, your audio budget should probably be at least what you spent on the tv... but again, that's imo, and others will feel differently... not everyone feels that way about audio, and to each his own...

ccotenj said:
true, they'll get loud enough to fill that space (assuming correct positioning, not too many room openings, etc.)...

i think my point all along here has been is that the audio portion of the budget didn't match the video portion... :) imo, i think that once you fire up something that is really audio intensive on that set (and like i said in an earlier post, that is a SWEET set), you are going to be somewhat disappointed that the audio doesn't match the intensity of the video... to be really honest, your audio budget should probably be at least what you spent on the tv... but again, that's imo, and others will feel differently... not everyone feels that way about audio, and to each his own...
Like I said in my previous post, I MAY buy a 50 in version of the tv instead so I'll have about $300-400 more to spend on audio. anyways, here's some pics of the room if it can help any:

P1010062.JPG

P1010063.JPG

P1010064.JPG

the TV hasn't been ordered yet, but it's going to be on that stand. i'm still not sure if i'm getting the 50 or 55 in version

ccotenj said:

Sure, I think it'd be *better* to spend more on the system, but if he's setting a budget in the $400-500 range I'd just focus on getting a set which gets loud enough for the room without distorting and has pretty good bass and a clear center. I feel like home theater is a lot more forgiving than music in a lot of respects.

i suppose you are right... <grumble> ht is more forgiving than music, and like i said in some previous posts, i tend to forget everyone doesn't feel the same way about the audio track as i do...

that is one scary room acoustically though... :eek: especially since his fronts are going to have to go basically right up against the side walls...

Heh, my living room is probably even more of a nightmare =b

ccotenj said:
i suppose you are right... <grumble> ht is more forgiving than music, and like i said in some previous posts, i tend to forget everyone doesn't feel the same way about the audio track as i do...

that is one scary room acoustically though... :eek: especially since his fronts are going to have to go basically right up against the side walls...
Its still better than my room ccotenj isnt it :D

Anywho in general I have been reading the Z-5500's arent ideal for good home theatre setups (unless you are none of those kids that only likes to hear bass and no other levels on the sound spectrum :p)

You truly cant beat the sound of a reciever and real home theatre speakers :)

My 2 cents.

After seeing the room I can see why you are asking the question about the Z-5500's.
In that space I would be looking at an in the wall or in the ceiling speaker option

Computer speakers are made for a smaller soundstage. You're meant to be closer to them.
You can use the 5500's, they do have plenty of power but it likely wont sound right. Probably Hollow.

Get a real Setup if you want to throw down the cash

200 dollar Reciever
Dual Polk R50's
Polk R30 Rears
Something for center.
Something for sub

yea, x, that'd probably work better, but even then, placing the fronts is gonna be hard... that narrow a room with that big a tv sitting in the middle is going to be very difficult to make work, the seating distance from the tv necessitates a certain amount of speaker separation, and they are gonna be hard up against the walls, at a minimum... in-ceilings would work well for the surrounds, for sure...

ruffy, i hope that the "something for the center" would be a similar polk as well, to ensure the speakers are voice/timbre matched....

Back