Using Paypal to receive w/ another person's account

lowteckh

Supreme [H]ardness
Is this "ok" to do? In the event that I seriously don't want to but have to, could I as a seller use say, a friend's account that's not my address or a room-mate that is my address to receive payment? What sort of trouble can this bring?

Why would you need to? It may not bring any trouble, but it does seem suspicious.

if someone doesn't ship the confirmed paypal address they aren't covered for anything..

anyone who uses paypal should always ship to the paypal confirmed address..

Very very very long story short, a buyer and Paypal fucked me over a few years ago (buyer did a chargeback or something), and required me to pay for an item AND allowed the buyer to keep it. Obviously I didn't pay for it so poof went my accnt. That's for just turning 18, naive and thinking eBay was safe and such a thing could not possibly happen, and also for thinking nothing bad would come out of a transaction with a negative rep user w/ 2 accounts (msged/e-mailed me after with both accounts - one positive, one -1).

If I can use a friend's account to do w/ payment stuff then that's all I need to know. Thx for reading my life's story.

@H-Street, thx, I've heard about that but didn't know the part of coverage til now.. not that Paypal will cover jack shit.. bastards. Anyways, my question is regarding if I'm the seller.

Well, as the seller, it doesn't really matter what account it goes to, so sure, you should be fine.

Thanks, was going to only accept USPS MO but I suppose this opens up a bit more possibilities. One more upon more things, if I am receiving payment through a personal account, this eliminates the possibility of a CC transaction since it's usually just limited to the premier account and thus am safe from the wrath of the chargeback? Is there any other way to screw a seller over w/o using a CC? And how would you recognize a CC payment, or does it get automagically rejected?

With funds already in a paypal account, you can send the money to another paypal account for free by using the Send Money option.

Thanks, was going to only accept USPS MO but I suppose this opens up a bit more possibilities. One more upon more things, if I am receiving payment through a personal account, this eliminates the possibility of a CC transaction since it's usually just limited to the premier account and thus am safe from the wrath of the chargeback? Is there any other way to screw a seller over w/o using a CC? And how would you recognize a CC payment, or does it get automagically rejected?

This makes no difference with PayPal. PayPal to PayPal is permitted using any level account, personal or premium, and a personal account can have a CC associated with it as the primary payment method. What this means is that the buyer can pay PayPal with a CC and PayPal sends the money to you. If the buyer does a chargeback, rather than lose the money PayPal will attempt to reverse the transaction with you if and either remove money from your PayPal balance or send your balance into the negative.

Long story short, having a personal account instead of a premium does not protect you from chargebacks.

^^Thanks for the clear up, has me worrying again : \ Are CC payments and non-CC payments identifiable in the transaction/transfer? So say someone sends me a CC payment even though I specified non-CC, would I be able to see it as a CC xfer and reject it?

^^Thanks for the clear up, has me worrying again : \ Are CC payments and non-CC payments identifiable in the transaction/transfer? So say someone sends me a CC payment even though I specified non-CC, would I be able to see it as a CC xfer and reject it?

If I remember right, and I may not and could be completely off in left field on this, the terms of service for Paypal says that you have to accept all forms of payment from other Paypal users regardless of its source and that you can't limit how buyers pay for your stuff. I'll look into it some more, and get back to you, or maybe someone with a bit more knowledge of Paypal will chime and bust me up for being a dumbass. :D

edit: looks like I'm a dumbass. If you have just a personal account, you can't accept a CC backed payment and can deny it or upgrade your account.

Paypal TOS said:
Receipt of Credit Card Funded Payments. The ability to receive credit card funded payments is reserved for Premier and Business accounts. Personal Accounts that receive credit card funded payments may accept the payment by upgrading to a Premier or Business account, or they will have to deny the payment. Personal accounts may receive non-credit card funded payments for free. Once upgraded, Premier and Business Accounts may receive unlimited credit card funded payments. Payments funded wholly or partially by a credit card are classified as credit card payments in the PayPal system.

Thanks, the first part had me worried - wondering what was the point of asking for non-CC payment only in the FS section if you can't differentiate between CC and non-CC.

But MjrStryker notes that you can PP to PP w/ a CC?
Long story short, having a personal account instead of a premium does not protect you from chargebacks.
But if you can't accept CC like ryan_975 dug out, then there should be no worry of chargebacks?:confused::confused:

Thanks, the first part had me worried - wondering what was the point of asking for non-CC payment only in the FS section if you can't differentiate between CC and non-CC.

But MjrStryker notes that you can PP to PP w/ a CC?
But if you can't accept CC like ryan_975 dug out, then there should be no worry of chargebacks?:confused::confused:

If you have a personal account and receive a payment that is partially or fully funded by a CC linked to the buyers account, then you will be asked to deny the payment or upgrade your account to premium.

Awesome, thx. But say if the account is a premiere account, does the TOS of "must accept all payments" apply and you be forced to accept CC (even without knowing, unless there's a line in the transfer that says "credit card payment"?)?

I think my questions on the personal account aspect has been cleared up since no-CC allowed = no possibility of chargeback, so now I diverge :X

Awesome, thx. But say if the account is a premiere account, does the TOS of "must accept all payments" apply and you be forced to accept CC (even without knowing, unless there's a line in the transfer that says "credit card payment"?)?

I think my questions on the personal account aspect has been cleared up since no-CC allowed = no possibility of chargeback, so now I diverge :X

ahh, I still though you were referring to personal accounts. Let me do some checking again before I continue making an idiot of myself.

Oh no no no, I just switched the subject to premiere accounts in that last post. Sorry for the confusion, the rest of the thread before are all [I think] personal account related.

The MO is an option, but I'm looking for more since it seems not having PP [severely?] limits audience. My horrifying experience with PP is what led me to ask all these tedious questions and consume the time of fellow members :D I just want to be informed, educated and prepared before I post my first FS thread.

With a premier/business account, you won't be able to tell the difference.
The chargeback risk is such a small thing IMO, the main reason people say non-cc is because they have a personal account and want to avoid fees. If you have a premier account, the fees are identical regardless of source, so it becomes a non-issue

Hope that clears things up

That does clear it up. My paranoia with chargeback stems from the PP incident which [I think] the buyer did a chargeback (said he gave it to the bank to deal with, so after many years I think chargeback is what the term should be[?]) right when we were discussing how to deal with a damaged item. It looks like a buyer can do it for anything without much of a reason or a bs reason - what constitutes a chargeback and how is it possible to fight/avoid one?

Well, you have a dispute risk regardless of source. For all payments, you can dispute them in paypal. With credit cards, you have an additional form of dispute, with the credit card company itself, known as a chargeback

Risk either way, gotcha. On the topic of risk, what are ones associated with USPS MO? Ones I can think of are 1. if buyer pays first, seller may not send item, 2. if seller ships first, buyer may not send MO.

And on the topic of legitimacy, is it okay/safe for a seller to provide say, a copy of driver's license showing address and whatnot? Thinking in terms of ease of mind for a buyer right now..

Sending a copy of my drivers license is something I would never be comfortable with, regardless of the reputation involved

Back