Using shared storage as a volume in Win28k

Eminence_Front

Weaksauce
I have a simple scenario I am trying to visualize and configure, and need a hint on how to go about it.

I have a 13TB FC array, built into several 300GB to 750GB stores.
I also have 10TB iSCSI array, setup as datastores as well.

What I'd like to do, is have one of my VMs (a 2k8 File Server), directly access and share one of these locations as a read-only, FTP source directory, for remotely downloading installers, patches, etc. for several of my VPN users.

I am essentially going to use this as one big FTP site, to serve up .iso images of Apps to my engineers in the field.

While true, they could use the VSphere client to access the datastores and download directly from them, it's time consuming to log in, etc. and it would be much easier to just let them use their credentials on the domain, to access the FTP and get the files they need.

Is it possible to do this ?

Why not create a new disk and install a ftp server pointing to that disk as the ftproot
You can use RBA so those users would have read only access.

If I create a "new" disk it would require me to copy all the data from the existing data store to that disk, correct ? e.g. I presume you mean create a new Lun and format it VMFS, to use as a VM accessible storage volume ?

well, if those ISOs already live on the lun, with NTFS / whatever as the filesystem, use an RDM.

Back