Utility of 800 vs. 1066 DDR2 RAM?

Newsome

n00b
I'm curious what the consensus is: what, in general, can 1066 MHz DDR2 RAM do substantially better than 800 MHz RAM?

800mhz DDR1?

Not much of a difference, it takes a lot of speed, or really tight timings to make a noticeable difference in ram. That being said, comparing 1000mhz ddr2 against 1600-2000mhz ddr3, eventually with enough speed, it still noticeably faster, even with worse timings.

Sorry if that's not the correct answer, I wasn't really sure what you were asking.

It's faster. Depends on the application as to how much you may notice it. This applies to Intel chipsets, not AMD. They like tighter timings.

On reflection, that wasn't the clearest question ever.

I guess what I'm asking is this: for DDR2 RAM, why should someone spend the extra 20-40 dollars for 1066 MHz instead of sticking with 800 MHz?

An @ 18 is #1: which chipsets like tighter timings? Intel or AMD? And are you saying that the 1066 RAM would make less difference on an AMD chipset?

Going from 800MHz DDR2 to 1066MHz DDR2 with a Core 2 system will give you very little performance improvement, if any at all. The main benefit is the ability to run higher FSB speeds without overclocking the memory, since with Intel chipsets the maximum FSB you can run without overclocking DDR2-800 is 400MHz, and that's pretty low for most 45nm CPUs. DDR2-1066 will allow you to go up to an FSB speed of 533MHz without overclocking the RAM.

Back