Valkyria Chronicle is coming to PC!

might have to get this. I hav it on PS3 but I'd rather sit in front of the PC and play.

I hope this means VC 2 and 3 are coming to PC as well!

In case you don't know VC 2 only made it to PSP and fixed many of the issues I had with the first game. VC 3 was PSP also but never made it to the states at all.

I hope this means VC 2 and 3 are coming to PC as well!

In case you don't know VC 2 only made it to PSP and fixed many of the issues I had with the first game. VC 3 was PSP also but never made it to the states at all.

Absolutely this. I thoroughly enjoyed VC1 and was always curious about 2 and 3.

It's odd to see so many Japanese game developers flocking to PC. There must be a really niche user-base of PC users buying a metric ton of them. I'm glad to see PCs get more attention from that market.

It's odd to see so many Japanese game developers flocking to PC. There must be a really niche user-base of PC users buying a metric ton of them. I'm glad to see PCs get more attention from that market.

This was the result of a petition/movement towards SEGA. Ironically, VC was the last game anyone expected, first(the other games weren't PS3 exclusive and *SHOULD* be easier/quicker to port. At least thats what people thought...).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741754
http://kotaku.com/petition-we-want-more-sega-games-like-bayonetta-on-1508032169
http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/1w1wyl/kotaku_petition_we_want_more_sega_games_on_pc/

VC is one of my most favorite games of all times. Still, it had a whole host of problems. Hopefully they fixed those in the PC release. Tactical gameplay (i.e. not taking much damage) wasn't rewarded at all, it was just about the shortest amount of turns. Dealing with bodies was pointless.

Still stoked for this. I don't normally advocate for paying full price, but in this case I will because I want to reward SEGA.

Valkyria Chronciles is coming to PC on November 11 for $20/£15/€20, Sega announced today.

The strategy role-playing game will come equipped with all the downloadable content released for the PlayStation 3 version. It's now available for digital pre-order via various retailers.

DLC is

· Hard EX Mode (harder versions of skirmish missions in the main game)

· Edy’s Mission “Enter the Edy Detachment” (a side story campaign)

· Selveria’s Mission “Behind Her Blue Flame” (a side story campaign)

· Challenge of the Edy Detachment (six challenge missions)

http://www.destructoid.com/sega-announces-valkyria-chronicles-price-and-date--283221.phtml

FYI: Already up on steam with pre-order discount

10% off ($17.99) for pre-orders.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

I got it for the ps3, i like it. i just hate game controllers.

Last edited:
Just picked up a copy for the ps3 too, game is getting kind of hard to find and even my local eb games wanted $25 for a used copy.

yay! I'm excited actually, played this a bit on ps3 at a friend's place and really enjoyed it.

picked it up from GMG for $13.50

ive been wanting this game for awhile so glad it finally made it to PC, i enjoyed the demo i played on the PS3

Already finished the game on ps3 but not the dlc so i bought it.

Thanks to fan translation im playing through vc3 on my vita. Seems like none of the games i want to play are coming here anymore... thanks for nothing sega.

Already finished the game on ps3 but not the dlc so i bought it.

Thanks to fan translation im playing through vc3 on my vita. Seems like none of the games i want to play are coming here anymore... thanks for nothing sega.

If it makes you feel any better, Sony isn't giving Vita much attention either...

.....immediate purchase for me. It was really a fantastic strategy RPG, "Fire Emblem Difficult" (ie your squad members can "die for good" if you don't rescue them in time. Be ready to reload lots of times! Also, unlocking the best ranks and rewards for a given level is tough, and characters have Fire Emblem -like "relationships" with other soldiers which really rounds them out. Put a soldier with "Fancies Women" next to a woman on the battlefield and he'll be twice as likely to score a critical hit. However, if someone with "Loner" and "Pollen Alergy" is surrounded by people in the middle of a grassy field, they're going to do less damage, take more, and have worse accuracy etc.), and yes I enjoy the anime as well. The PS3 version smartly included the complete Japanese audio track which I hope will be preserved for the Steam release.

Now I can only hope if VC2 and VC3, originally released only for PSP, will make it to PC as well, preferably as HD upgrades of the "best versions" (there were several releases of VC2 and VC3 that added more content along the way etc..).

This kind of thing is a dream come true for me - Japanese developers "doing it right" and releasing titles for PC, complete with JP audio, full DLC, and reasonable pricing. While six years is far too long for my taste between ports, perhaps if we purchase these titles it will mean we'll get the newer stuff for PC in parity with future releases. Remember how well Metal Gear Rising: Revengence on PC did, and that cemented the PC version of MGS: Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain to come etc..

Probably not sadly. The big publishers still have this attitude that DRM = win and so they won't do GOG.

I think for many Japanese publishers is more than that. Don't get me wrong, a LOT of Japanese publishers are super hardcore into DRM/anti-piracy as a philosophy (though they tend to put less of it into practice, at times), but we can't overlook Steam's other big asset - standardization/Steamworks.

I'm so happy that Japanese devs/publishers are finally getting on to PC, but its a BIG adjustment for most of them. They're used to the closed, console ecosystem where everything is taken care of "for' them by an intermediary party (unless of course we're talking about VNs, MMOs indie devs etc..) How to update your game? Console will take care of that. Multiplayer? Console will take care of that. Community? Console. Its pretty notable for instance that when Dynasty Warriors 8 XL Complete was released on Steam it lacked multiplayer that it had on PSN. Why? Because the devs didn't want/know how to go to the trouble of coding in multiplayer that wasn't dependent on the proprietary console PSN/XBL online service. Now, they made a big oversight in this case by not using Steamworks for multiplayer and a lot of people, myself included, didn't buy, but many of them are learning. However, having Steam provide those assets while being platform agnostic, generally lacking DRM (but not throwing a fit if the 3rd party wants to add their own DRM atop it), and providing great advertising etc.. it "fits" for them.Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see GOG versions of these titles, but I am also happy that these developers didn't do like so many others are doing these days and cooking up their own, proprietary "steam clone" to exert full control, but this is also balanced against it being "a ton of work" for them to do on their own.

If it means more Japanese games being brought to PC in high quality formats, I don't mind it being Steam. Brand reputation is very important in Japan, and Steam has become the "brand" for PC digital distribution and advertising, plus has a lot of easy to integrate community/multiplay/update/management feature. Things could certainly be much worse in my mind, than Steam being the prime platform. If nothing else, it will open up the PC to more JP developers and publishers' interest, see a viable market, and eventually others will sell via GoG, Desura, Humble etc.. and other places that often give the user both a DRM free version AND a Steam key!

I think for many Japanese publishers is more than that. Don't get me wrong, a LOT of Japanese publishers are super hardcore into DRM/anti-piracy as a philosophy (though they tend to put less of it into practice, at times), but we can't overlook Steam's other big asset - standardization/Steamworks.

I'm so happy that Japanese devs/publishers are finally getting on to PC, but its a BIG adjustment for most of them. They're used to the closed, console ecosystem where everything is taken care of "for' them by an intermediary party (unless of course we're talking about VNs, MMOs indie devs etc..) How to update your game? Console will take care of that. Multiplayer? Console will take care of that. Community? Console. Its pretty notable for instance that when Dynasty Warriors 8 XL Complete was released on Steam it lacked multiplayer that it had on PSN. Why? Because the devs didn't want/know how to go to the trouble of coding in multiplayer that wasn't dependent on the proprietary console PSN/XBL online service. Now, they made a big oversight in this case by not using Steamworks for multiplayer and a lot of people, myself included, didn't buy, but many of them are learning. However, having Steam provide those assets while being platform agnostic, generally lacking DRM (but not throwing a fit if the 3rd party wants to add their own DRM atop it), and providing great advertising etc.. it "fits" for them.Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see GOG versions of these titles, but I am also happy that these developers didn't do like so many others are doing these days and cooking up their own, proprietary "steam clone" to exert full control, but this is also balanced against it being "a ton of work" for them to do on their own.

If it means more Japanese games being brought to PC in high quality formats, I don't mind it being Steam. Brand reputation is very important in Japan, and Steam has become the "brand" for PC digital distribution and advertising, plus has a lot of easy to integrate community/multiplay/update/management feature. Things could certainly be much worse in my mind, than Steam being the prime platform. If nothing else, it will open up the PC to more JP developers and publishers' interest, see a viable market, and eventually others will sell via GoG, Desura, Humble etc.. and other places that often give the user both a DRM free version AND a Steam key!

They aren't DRM happy, they just don't like the PC format. In Japan nobody who's into games plays on a PC. The PC is for rape and dating anime games, the casual of the casuals. Multiplayer is still largely in person, the arcade scene is thriving, and the hardcore gamers focus on mobile devices first, and consoles second.

So in their native country, nobody is going to buy a AAA game on PC, it's not the market for it. And the people who import Japanese games do it on the native platform, and try for the Japanese version because the American versions often have the difficulty stripped from them because the hard versions did not sell here, America mode is a thing, it's doesn't look good for us and has been around since the 80s.

The thing is it's cheap to port to the PC, so just tossing the game out there to gobble up a new audience makes economic sense now. Especially with the skyrocketing of development costs. Pump out a great game for your real audience, port it on the cheap to other platforms to scoop up what you can, throw out a phone game for your core audience, sell guides on phone and tablets.

It's free money now.

friend gave me a copy, guess i have no choice and play it. i did get stuck at the super tank and witch part for the ps3.

Just bought this on Steam for $17! What a steal, I have always wanted to play this game but never could b/c I never had a PS3. I fell in love with SRPGs after playing Fire Emblem Awakening on my 3DSXL earlier this year.

Might be the single most refreshing genre in gaming for me personally. Can't wait until tomorrow :)

Anyone who doesn't have it yet, GreenManGaming is selling it for $13 in their "VIP" Section. All you need is an account with GMG I think and then click on VIP - they have pretty good discounts on many different titles in that area, which are great especially if vouchers don't apply.

Hope you enjoy it, Noid! Its really one of the best of its genre and as cageymaru links, it seems like a great port too. This is definitely SEGA doing it right - original Japanese audio, low price, good port, all DLC included. Hopefully the success of the Steam version will compel them to make a "HD Remake" on PC of the 2 PSP only titles in the series, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Valkyria Chronicles 3 Extra Edition, with a similar level of quality.

Anyone who doesn't have it yet, GreenManGaming is selling it for $13 in their "VIP" Section. All you need is an account with GMG I think and then click on VIP - they have pretty good discounts on many different titles in that area, which are great especially if vouchers don't apply.

Hope you enjoy it, Noid! Its really one of the best of its genre and as cageymaru links, it seems like a great port too. This is definitely SEGA doing it right - original Japanese audio, low price, good port, all DLC included. Hopefully the success of the Steam version will compel them to make a "HD Remake" on PC of the 2 PSP only titles in the series, Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Valkyria Chronicles 3 Extra Edition, with a similar level of quality.

Super pumped, and it would be cool to see other SEGA properties make their way to PC. I looooooved Vanquish and if that ever came to PC I would double dip. That definitely is a game that PC gamers don't even realized they missed.

Can someone explain the team loadout and how its randomized? I read about Marina Wulfstan being the best sniper in the game, but I'm hearing that your team is randomly generated in the game?

Is this done early in the game? I read about people restarting their game until they get her.. is this far into the game?

its not random.

The new recruits you gain after each chapter are randomly selected. Every time you finish a chapter you'll have a new chance for more troops to show up. However, you can also save right after you start a new chapter, then go to your headquarters and look to see who has joined and if you don't like the offerings, you can reload for a new random selection.

Unless there have been some changes from the PS3 version, most general recruits are random (ie between chapters etc..) but there are certain recruits that only show up if a given set of circumstances are met, sometimes regarding existing recruits. For instance, there's a particular Scout who I remember only shows up on New Game+. Here's what I dredged up from the GameFAQs board..

" Audrey (Lancer) - Earn 10 or more medals

Emile (Sniper) - Unlock Oscar's hidden potential, the let him die in battle

Knute (Engineer) - Enter the Command Room with 1,000,000 DCT

Lynn (Shock Trooper) - Unlock Karl's hidden potential, then let him fall in combat

Musaad (Scout) - Beat the game

"

Note, when they say here "let him fall in combat" or "die in battle" THIS DOES NOT MEAN ALLOW THEM TO EXPIRE. Just allow them to "feint", then touch them with a friendly character (don't let an enemy get there first or they're gone for good!) or finish the battle. This will revive them for your next mission and still qualify to unlock the special characters.

Edit: Also, if you want to make your squad the best it can be, you have to unlock their Personalities and Potentials! You'll have some from the start for each character. Make sure that you always buy the newspaper articles from the Reporter once she arrives, as this can help plus it unlocks special side missions. Also, use your characters in battle - unlocking each potential has to do with them being used in missions. Being deployed on a mission, healing a person or getting an enemy kill (NOT just hurting an enemy), rescuing a downed ally etc... all grant you invisible "points" towards your next potential, I read. There are a few traits and potentials that only unlock at certain parts of the game because of the story or special other characteristics etc... but most others are done this way. Visit Castlefront Street (I think) frequently and if the invisible tally for a given character means they get a new potential, it will unlock when you go there - you don't go, it doesn't unlock!

Another tip - until NewGame+ you CANNOT replay missions. The grade you get on a mission is only governed by how fast you complete it, within X amount of turns (both yours/enemies count). Getting high grades mean more money for research and upgrades for your gear. Defeating enemy Aces will give extra money and often drop one of their weapons - these tend to be much stronger than your normal gear, but have crappy accuracy. You can always grind on Skirmishes when you unlock them, for money, potentials etc.. (use people you don't use in main missions etc..) . Getting A ranks after Level 9 or so is more important because it means that the Princess will grant you special "Royal" weapons that are generally better than whatever else you can research at the time, but like the enemy weapons, you only have a limited amount of them so give them to your best soldiers who you take on the most important missions, swap them around etc. However, itts really kinda stressful to try and A rank everything especially your first time through, so you can always wait until later. I strongly suggest looking for a FAQ for unlocking medals, weapons etc... so you know what you'lll be getting into.

Last edited:
They aren't DRM happy, they just don't like the PC format. In Japan nobody who's into games plays on a PC.
Sorry, but I'm going to have to call bullshit on this, as its not a consumer problem, its a monopoly issue, and Japanese gamers hate it but can't do anything about it.

As is common in Japanese businesses, the top execs make under-table handshake agreements that are highly illegal and frowned upon in the west as a matter of regular business practice on what they think is mutually beneficial (consumer be damned). It may not be as bad as in South Korea, where the powerful families were given monopolies by the government, but its pretty damn close.

Japanese gamers hate the lack of options and they hate the exorbitant prices they have to pay, but again whats the alternative when Japanese publishers are all in cahoots? They pay as much as $100 for some console games, whereas the ceiling in the US is closer to $60, and for PC the average seems to be around $30.

It'd be like saying that Japanese think that renting video games is stupid, which is why they don't have it. Nope, wrong cause and effect there, as the Japanese gamers would LOVE to rent games, but they can't, because the monopoly pressured government to outlaw it.

So yes the Japanese are DRM mad and lock down their crap like crazy as they have been for decades, but the change is likely simply due to the fact that the Japanese game industry is dying. Nintendo's sales have been flat at best, Sony is losing money every single year (at some point they are going to run out of expensive assets to sell off), and generally the industry is simply quickly becoming irrelevant.

Loving this game so far, very good strategy. Even early on I was reminded that being squirrely means being punished. Pacing seems a bit unbalanced due to all the initial backstory but I just got to Chapter 3 and unlocked the headquarters. Seems like the "tutorial" is out of the way now.

I bought it, no time to play yet, two questions (from memory after having played a very early PS3 version years ago):

Is removing/hiding enemy bodies fixed (as in, does it give you extra points)?
Is an A+ score still contingent on completing a battle using the fewest turns?

The later really annoyed the fuck out of me like there's no tomorrow. It was OK to let your squad fall in battle just as long as you completed it in X turns, but if you advanced so that your people don't take damage you got a C score.

Maybe it's a cultural difference thing, Japanese and their Kamikaze, personally I'd rather have all my people intact and take a couple extra turns.

I am currently up to Chapter 12 and quite enjoying this game. The art direction holds up incredibly well despite being an old last-gen game, although the shitty low res cut scenes detract from the overall presentation. Compelling story and interesting take on the turn based strategy genre. There seem to be complaints about brutal difficulty, but I honestly haven't had much trouble......if anything the maps are too small and linear. The UI in story mode is also a bit of a convoluted mess, but I guess that's Japanese game development for you.

Back