Valve Hardware Survey

people need to upgrade! some sorry ass hardware:eek: edit: this is why pc gaming is dying off. we need a pc gaming standard so delelopers can make better coded games.

people need to upgrade! some sorry ass hardware:eek: edit: this is why pc gaming is dying off. we need a pc gaming standard so delelopers can make better coded games.

Games that can run on older hardware are not what is killing PC gaming. The best selling PC games right now are made by Valve, Blizzard, and EA's The Sims, and they all scale very well down to older hardware in a wide variety of configurations, while in the case of Valve they can be made to more fully exploit higher end configurations. Hell, even Call Of Duty 4 scales back pretty well.

Where PC gaming do poorly are with games that cater only to bleeding edge rigs that require very specific pieces to run well. You can't have it like it was ten years ago. A game that requires a top end videocard to run properly will tank now.

That said, a better hardware standard will absolutely help. Its not going to happen though, not with all the companies competing to get their different hardware into PCs. You want a standardized platform, get a console. :)

Unfortunately I'm still in the single core athlon 2.3GHz, 2GB RAM, and ATi X800 bracket.

Unfortunately I'm still in the single core athlon 2.3GHz, 2GB RAM, and ATi X800 bracket.

don't feel bad, I just upgraded to a dual core athlon on a 939 board. I was waiting to replace my geforce 6800 but ATI is taking forever to release. Skipped 2 gens. I will have to build a new rig this year I think, a year earlier then planed.

While it is technically correct that Intel is the most popular CPU brand in this survey, I'd point out that the margin is not nearly as wide as it used to be or as wide as it is for non-gaming computers. In fact, I'd be willing to call it a sampling error wash, but my disclaimer explains that opinion. (It's become a wider gap since I last looked at it, but my opinion still stands.)

Disclaimer: Anyone who's paid attention to some of my previous posts knows I tend towards AMD fanbuoyism. Anyone who's paid attention to all of my previous posts knows that I only support AMD when their processors are the better performance/price ratio... which is basically only when they are losing to Intel.

soccermatt34 said:
so who are the lucky 3 with 127 cpu cores?

The ones lucky enough to purchase VirtualPC or VMWare Server.
:p

I tend towards AMD fanbuoyism

I don't understand such brand loyalty. Like any company really gives a shit about you. All they want is your money.

I always just get what offers the most bang for the buck regardless of company.

I don't understand such brand loyalty. Like any company really gives a shit about you. All they want is your money.

I always just get what offers the most bang for the buck regardless of company.

Absolutely. Like one multibillion corporation cares about you more than the other. :rolleyes:

Whoa! That's exactly what I run.

Runs Oblivion and HL2 in wide screen with moderate to aggressive settings. Meh.

There's a reason people call it ChipZilla vs. ChimpZilla. Intel has 32x the market cap of AMD.

Back