Valve Needs 300 Beta Testers For Steam Machines

Its more trouble then its worth. It accepted my login info but now wants a code to verify but there is none in my email. then i click a link to support and it wants me to sign up for a support account.

Entitled much? People looking for a free handout and opportunists looking to stick it on ebay are out of luck, rightfully so.

No kidding.

As if being one of only 300 'end users' to be able to touch a new product that about a million people are splooging their pants just see isn't enough of an incentive.

Hardly...unless you don't have a controller, it takes all of 5 minutes to do all of that.

Then you need 10 friends too, which yeah sure could be easily done with a site like this where there are many users. However some of us simply what to use Steam as a way to purchase games and that's it, we don't want to turn it into another "social" site, which I'm guessing is what they want to do with the SteamBox

Then you need 10 friends too, which yeah sure could be easily done with a site like this where there are many users. However some of us simply what to use Steam as a way to purchase games and that's it, we don't want to turn it into another "social" site, which I'm guessing is what they want to do with the SteamBox

Well in fairness they're looking to enter a treacherous console domain with entrenched leaders that already have significant social elements on their platforms, so if they didn't at least consider social then people would be saying "why no social like mai xbaux/playstationz?"

Then why do you care? Just move on or get some friends, one or the other.

Then why do you care? Just move on or get some friends, one or the other.

Your confusing my participation as a way of "caring", ever see a thread lets just say for example any of the GTA V threads, where someone comes in and says something to the effect of "I never understood why people like this franchise, I don't" it's just a way for people to communicate in the world... yes even with things they don't like or don't care for. Unlike the Facebook model that has been adopted by so many that you may only like something, and not "dislike" something forums work such that you get comments from both sides of the spectrum.

Plus it'd be nice to be eligible to get some free shit... even if I only want to use said box as a HTPC. But yeah I've basically moved on.

Unlike the Facebook model that has been adopted by so many that you may only like something, and not "dislike" something forums work such that you get comments from both sides of the spectrum.

I'm pretty sure people were referred to as 'negative nancys' or 'wet blankets' long before Facebook, the internet, or computers were invented/commonplace. There's a difference between constructive criticism and just complaining.

Not just that, but your Steam Badges/interaction in the community. _ I've been in every beta they've had but don't have many badges.

Maybe my level 17 steam account with 13 badges will count for something other than measuring my time sinks?

Maybe my level 17 steam account with 13 badges will count for something other than measuring my time sinks?

Correct; I'm only level 10 so you stand a better chance at the actual 'selected testers' part than I

I think Valve is doing a great job overall, especially with this Linux initiative, but their "community" efforts are terrible. It's like they're desperate to target all the fucking imbeciles on the internet.

Everything about it is just offensive if you're not a complete idiot.
If you think about it they are going after the console crowd.

If you think about it they are going after the console crowd.

No I think you misunderstood what he meant:

"If Valve doesn't target only me specifically, and do every little thing down to my liking then it's a fail."

No I think you misunderstood what he meant:

"If Valve doesn't target only me specifically, and do every little thing down to my liking then it's a fail."

LMAO. God if that isn't like 90% of the comments about it in the last couple days. Once you start reading them you can reach your daily dumb limit pretty quick. Actual comments from the verge and elsewhere:

"It won't play every Window and XBOX game ever made. FAIL"
"My Wifi router from 2003 doesn't reach to my livingroom so I can't stream anyway. FAIL"
"SteamOS is a lie because Valve just wants money and hates Bill Gates and even like all the good things he did in africa and everything. FAIL"
"I already have a Tivo why do I need this. FAIL"

They didn't make it clear and I had to almost sign up to answer this.

If You are selected as a participant in the Beta Program, Valve will make the Beta Products available to You as part of the Beta Program. The Beta Products will remain the property of Valve, and We may require You to return the Beta Products to Us upon request at Our expense (for example, without limitation, if such return is required to comply with regulatory restrictions, or if we feel it would be useful for us to examine the Beta Products to confirm or reproduce defect or errors that You identify). For this reason, the Beta Products are not for resale.

This means I don't really care about this beta program. You want me to try out your hardware and not give me anything but the honor of it? screw that.

Every beta has this.

Read the agreement before you install a piece of Microsoft beta software, that states that you have to give then your hard drive if they request it.

Most betas have a cause that says you have to give the stuff back if requested.

I don't mean for this to sound whiny... but I'm tired of "beta" testing shit. I'm getting older (ugh) and I now cherish having things just "work". I don't mind beta testing once in a while but it now its become a fad to beta test everything and sometimes I would rather just play it in a final and stable state.

I think my new resolution for 2014 will be not to beta test a fucking thing and wait for a final release instead.

I don't mean for this to sound whiny... but I'm tired of "beta" testing shit.

Well the good news is, 77,984 people aren't tired :) And thats less than 10 hrs since this opened up.

qpRqM6h.jpg

Its all good man. We'll fight the good fight so you don't have to.

Do you never play multiplayer games? I have a handful of steam friends simply for that reason. I don't do any of the "community" stuff, I just use it to play games with my friends. And Steam makes that really fucking easy, which is the whole point. There are a lot of games that are just better when played with friends. Yes that's being "social", but that's not a bad thing, not in the slightest.

Already 100k eligible users. This will be like trying to win a lottery :p
I'm excited to see what Valve will come up with, good to see them pushing PC gaming platform. Would love to see PC gaming being taken more seriously than just handing us bad ports or delayed release.

Yeah they are all going to kids and Looser's who do nothing but game and have no life. AWESOME!!!

I don't own a game pad for the computer so I can't complete the stupid badge requirements. I believe that is stupid as hell since the BIG PICTURE advertisement clearly states "Pick up your game controller or liberate your keyboard and mouse"

Yet they screw you out of the badge if you don't physically use a game controller.

I can't beat free hardware, but I've been designing cases for the living room and if some of you would like to contribute your input, I would greatly appreciate it. :D You can see the current poll for my next design here in this hardforum thread!

I knew there would be a million people sign up for this and I don't qualify anyway since my only "friend" is my 8 year old son. And that is the way I want it.

Yeah they are all going to kids and Looser's who do nothing but game and have no life. AWESOME!!!

I don't own a game pad for the computer so I can't complete the stupid badge requirements. I believe that is stupid as hell since the BIG PICTURE advertisement clearly states "Pick up your game controller or liberate your keyboard and mouse"

Yet they screw you out of the badge if you don't physically use a game controller.

This is not a giveaway contest. They are looking for people to test out their Steam Machine which will be designed to be used in the living room.

If you do not play video games with a controller, then you probably can't help much in evaluating it.

Why so much whining?

"I don't qualify for free shit because I'm too bitter to click a button or plug in a controller, BULLSHIT"

Why so much whining?

"I don't qualify for free shit because I'm too bitter to click a button or plug in a controller, BULLSHIT"

Yeah, I really don't know. Apparently if it's anything beyond putting in your name or clicking that you accept a ToS then it's too hard and is bullshit or something... :rolleyes:

I can understand being frustrated about the controller thing (a guy I know didn't have one, actually had one on order but hadn't showed up yet) but these days everyone should have a 360-like controller for the PC if you're a gamer.

Yeah, I really don't know. Apparently if it's anything beyond putting in your name or clicking that you accept a ToS then it's too hard and is bullshit or something... :rolleyes:

I can understand being frustrated about the controller thing (a guy I know didn't have one, actually had one on order but hadn't showed up yet) but these days everyone should have a 360-like controller for the PC if you're a gamer.

And the whole requirement for a controller makes sense, since people will be testing hardware with a controller as well as a kb/m. Beta testing doesn't mean free loot. If you're selected, you should probably test the thing out, otherwise you'd just kinda be a dick.

I would consider myself a serious candidate in this. Im not a kid or a loser that does nothing but game and has no life.

I play games yes. Ive beta tested lots of shit for valve. Which is something they are looking at. I beta tested Dota2, CS:GO, SteamUI, Counter Strike Source, Dedicated servers for all of those, and a ton more.

I picked up my PS3 gamepad, installed the driver and installed DStool and got it working first shot in about 2 minutes. Borrow someones controller and complete the badge task at a later date if thats what you want.

If they give me one then cool ill use the hell out of it. If they give me the opportunity to buy one early.... Then i will pass that on to someone on here who wants or needs it more then i do.

Here's how to get vjoy to work so you can sign up for Steam Machine beta without a physical gamepad. These aren't my instructions so I'm not providing tech support but it worked for me:

1. Download VJOY virtual joystick driver. (http://headsoft.com.au/download/pc/VJoySetup.exe)
2. When it's installed it will minimize to tray automatically, click on the VJoy icon the bring up the menu.
3. Select any key (for example A) as "button 2". (You'll see "button 2" in the menu in the 2nd column)
4. You need the "enabled" box checked!
5. You might also have to check "block keys".
6. Open big picture with mouse, and navigate to the game and put ur mouse above the "play / launch game" button but don't click mouse. Now press A (the button you've bound to "button2") and that will launch the game and give you the requirement.
7. If it doesn't work, go to windows control panel, USB game controllers settings and select to use VJoy. (this means it didn't auto detect ur virtual "controller"). Note there are 2 VJoy's u can select, if one doesn't work, try the 2nd and that one will work.

Got my shiny badge, now crossing my fingers. I wasn't really interested in the beta, until I saw the controller.

Here's how to get vjoy to work so you can sign up for Steam Machine beta without a physical gamepad. These aren't my instructions so I'm not providing tech support but it worked for me:

1. Download VJOY virtual joystick driver. (http://headsoft.com.au/download/pc/VJoySetup.exe)
2. When it's installed it will minimize to tray automatically, click on the VJoy icon the bring up the menu.
3. Select any key (for example A) as "button 2". (You'll see "button 2" in the menu in the 2nd column)
4. You need the "enabled" box checked!
5. You might also have to check "block keys".
6. Open big picture with mouse, and navigate to the game and put ur mouse above the "play / launch game" button but don't click mouse. Now press A (the button you've bound to "button2") and that will launch the game and give you the requirement.
7. If it doesn't work, go to windows control panel, USB game controllers settings and select to use VJoy. (this means it didn't auto detect ur virtual "controller"). Note there are 2 VJoy's u can select, if one doesn't work, try the 2nd and that one will work.

WOOHOO!

You are now one out of 188,999 eligible beta candidates.
Good Luck!

I had it all set up right but the Button 2 bind did the trick!

WOOHOO!

You are now one out of 188,999 eligible beta candidates.
Good Luck!

I had it all set up right but the Button 2 bind did the trick!

Wow it was around 142,000 only 5 hours ago. They must only update the number a few times a day. That and the gamepad requirement is probably what's keeping more people from being eligible. Ofcourse thats a good thing since this isn't a free giveaway but a real beta for their livingroom strategy.

Nevertheless pretty crazy for only 2 days since it opened up but then again there are supposedly like 50 million steam accounts, with the amount of unique accounts logging in on a daily basis in the neighborhood of 3.5-6 million.

Back