VBScripting question

Tangent

[H]ard|Gawd
I really don't know a whole lot of anything about VBScript, I'm just dabbling at this point. What I'm trying to do is essentially combine a couple of sample scripts I found to perform the function I need. What I want to do is to be able to get the serial number of a PC on the domain by entering it's computer name in an input box.

Here's a working script I have that'll return the serial number of the computer. In this case it'll return the serial number of the computer named "ACR1234".

On Error Resume Next

Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10
Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20

arrComputers = Array("ACR1234")
For Each strComputer In arrComputers

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystemProduct", "WQL", _
wbemFlagReturnImmediately + wbemFlagForwardOnly)

For Each objItem In colItems
WScript.Echo "Serial Number: " & objItem.IdentifyingNumber
Next
Next

And here's a script I found and modified so that it successfullyasks for the input I want. (It just echoes the input back at me as shown here)

Option Explicit

Dim Message, result
Dim Title, Text1, Text2

Message = "Please enter a workstation ID"
Title = "Remote serial number search"
Text1 = "User input canceled"
Text2 = "You entered:" & vbCrLf

result = InputBox(Message, Title, "Workstation ID", 100, 100)

If result = "" Then ' Canceled by the user
WScript.Echo Text1
Else
WScript.Echo Text2 & result
End If

'*** End

What I haven't been able to figure out is how to combine them in a way that the information entered in the InputBox from example 2 lets you replace the "ACR1234" from example 1. I've tried all kinds of things and always get "variable is undefined:'arrComputers". I of course would delete the "Text2 = "You entered:" & vbCrLf", but what in the world do I replace "arrComputers = Array("ACR1234")" with so it fills in the entered text instead of the "ACR1234" in my example?

You're pretty much on the right track. All you need to do is remove the array and its loop and make a string variable for the computer name referencing the InputBox. For the error correction, make sure it's defined right after the strComputer variable.

Code:
Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10
 Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20

strComputer = InputBox("Enter the computer's name.", "Retrieve Computer Serial Number")

If Not strComputer = "" Then

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\CIMV2")
    Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystemProduct", "WQL", wbemFlagReturnImmediately + wbemFlagForwardOnly)

For each objItem in colItems
       WScript.Echo "Serial Number: " & objItem.IdentifyingNumber
Next

Else
       MsgBox "User has cancelled request."
End If

Beautiful! Much more elegant than the one I was cobbling together too. Thanks! :)

Back