vCenter Server 6.0 Appliance HA

KapsZ28

2[H]4U
I am looking to setup Figure 5 from this blog. https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2015/03/vcenter-server-6-topology-ha.html

Multiple Site vCenter Server & PSC with High Availability Architecture

Is the Clustered vCenter Server only available with Windows install? If that is the case, I am not sure I should even bother with Figure 5 and just go with Figure 4 and enable SMP-FT on both the PSC and VCSA.

In the past I have used vCenter Server Heartbeat with Windows, but didn't care for it. I know you can use SQL clustering and Watchdog, but I want to stick with the appliance rather than going back to Windows.

I am looking for the best option using VCSA 6.0 and making sure there is no single point of failure.

Since the death of heartbeat, the new way is to use windows server failover clustering. Not exactly any better IMO.

I would say given everything I've seen so far that the appliances are probably going to be future direction. VMware has never done this before with multiple platforms (ESX anyone?), without some strategy to replace. There's no reason to go two directions unless that is the intent, and they've been making it feature equal in every way. I think you'll see an application level clustering feature built in soon enough.

As of right now, Windows is it.

Back