Vcore and Stability

Black-Tom

Limp Gawd
This is sort of a noob question, but I haven't really found anything on the web that answers it straight out. How do you know if your vcore is too low? BSOD? PC won't boot? Stuttering? I'm just starting to OC my regor 245 and I'm a little scared to just "play" around with the vcore to see what happens.

Thanks in advance!

if its to low, your computer will not start in to windows. or you will get Bsod

Cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a more subtle issue. Currently clocked at 3.4ghz from 2.9 at 1.32 vcore. A 2 hour occt cycle leaves it at 47c on the stock cooler, so I'm happy.

nope, on the stock cooler I wouldnt want to push it furthar than 1.35vcore, run Prime95 for ~10-15 hrs to be sure of stability...

Alright, I'll check that out tonight. What makes you decide on 1.35? Experience? 1.32 is only a 1.5% increase, which I thought would be fairly negligible. If the temps are good, I thought it wouldn't matter what cooler is being used with what vcore

temp wise, the cooler that comes with that one is the PoS aluminum one, on my Phenom II X2 550 i could get ~1.35v into it before temps got out of my comfort range (i prefer sub 55c on my AMD chips).

Its highly dependent on case cooling as well as your ambient......and when your looking at these chips, your realistically only going voltage from ~.9-1.55 , so its alot more than a 1.5% increase in the actual range you will ever run the chip in

Yeah, the stock cooler is definitely unimpressive. The math makes more sense when looking at just that range of .56, I couldn't figure out how to approach the problem in context. Yeah I was shooting for under 55c as well. Thanks for straightening it all out, i'll stress test it properly when I get home from university.

Ya, no problem, any other questions just ask, in the "grand scheme of things" .03 doesnt seem like alot, but taking into consideration the actual range you use then well you see the math now ;)

If you need a new cooler, the Sun Beam Core Contact freezer is a great one, mounts natively on AMD's and is ~13 with MIR

the other error you see is a machine exception error BSOD. typically means your right on the edge of stable.. if you don't see a machine exception error BSOD usually means you aren't close to being stable under load since you are seeing a full system stability crash.

Back