Vdroop question

breadman

Gawd
Does anyone else say this vdroooooooooooooop (emphasis on the oooos) or is it just me?

Anyways,

Having never really known vdroop to be a problem, I am posting to see what exactly it is and how to read the correct voltage. Say I set the core voltage in my 680i mobo to be 1.4. Due to the vdroop it will be different once I am inside Windows and able to run a program to monitor it. Which program correctly reports it or most accurately reports the actual vcore? Speedfan? CPU-Z? NVMonitor?

Don't go by windows software...I'd only trust bios for voltage readings.

It depends on the board. For instance:

Gigabyte DS3 Rev. 3.3 (Horrid Vdroop) in the bios set to 1.525vcore, with windows running drops to 1.49, under full load drops to 1.44.

I've heard alot of the 965 boards run like this as well including the DQ6. Maybe it's just Gigabyte, who knows :confused:

That just happens though, unless you're going to break out the voltmeter, you really woln't know, but I can understand that when things are under full load they'd pull more power and thus cause the vdroop. Maybe I'm wrong, and someone will correct me, but thats how I understand it.

Back