Velociraptors: RAID problems - new firmware

Smart... I have Dell OEMs, anyone has a direct link or knows how to modify HP's exe to change serial check?

Also looking for a Dell update, I found this one:
http://support.us.dell.com/support/...typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=381344

Which says it is for:
WD800HLFS-75G6U1 DP/N N961M
WD1500HLFS-75G6U1 DP/N N962M
WD1600HLFS-75G6U1 DP/N N963M
WD3000HLFS-75G6U1 DP/N N965M

And I'm gonig to try to flash it to my
WD1600HLFS-75G6U0

EDIT:

IT WORKED! Flash successful.

Last edited:
This issue is still a huge problem.

We just built a new server based in the Intel Server Board S3420GBLC with an X3440 2.53GHz Xeon CPU. We have six 300GB VelociRaptors model WD3000HLFS-01G6U1 running firmware 04.04V02. The first two drives are RAID1 with no problems. The next three drives are RAID5 and the last drive is a hotspare. The RAID5 is failing almost daily and rebuilding to the hotspare. We've already replaced all four drives, two via Western Digital's RMA process, and the other two out of our own inventories. It didn't help. We removed the Intel hot-swap backplane but that didn't help either. We've changed out all of the SATA cables...didn't help. So, Western Digital is selling buggy crap as Enterprise (RAID-class) drives and they're full of BS. I just opened a case online with them and will let you know if/when/how they propose to resolve this. We sure wish we would have stayed with Seagate Barracuda drives on this server.

Last edited:
If you're using an onboard RAID controller to do RAID 1 or RAID 5, be sure NOT to use the latest intel driver(s).

Use Intel Storage Manager (and driver) 8.8.

There are significant issues with R1/R5 arrays. TLER helps, but moving back to 8.8 totally fixed the problem for me. I read about this on an intel based forum.

Back