Velocity Micro Gamer's Edge 1500 Evaluation - Take 2 - @ [H]

Didn't somebody in these forums ask the Velocity CEO for the window cases on the GX? Somebody must be listening. And let me say that this is an amazing system for $1500. I'm still loving mine.

HappyJack said:
Didn't somebody in these forums ask the Velocity CEO for the window cases on the GX? Somebody must be listening. And let me say that this is an amazing system for $1500. I'm still loving mine.

Correct, the request for windows on our GX series, and the addition of brushed silver aluminum to go with black or blue, came directly from [H] requests and customer calls to us. Our business is giving you guys what you want rather than building something then trying to sell it to you.

Velocity_Micro said:
We always have something fun to throw in like free shipping or instant coupons, so please check our site for the latest offers. (I'd dive in deeper but don't want this to be an advertisement.) Also, call your order in and ask the sales consultant for any free games that can be thrown in, and they should usually be able to hook you up with something. Be sure to tell them you read this on [H]!

Darn! I was so :eek: spastic when I called, and then got sidetracked. I didn't remember to ask about any games (since I don't have any yet). BTW, if all your techs are as great as Pete, you've really got a great group of people. He was amazingly helpful, patient and friendly. Explained my options clearly and basically held my hand through the ordering process. I hope the computer and support I get are as great as the service I received in ordering!

They're having a pretty decent sale this weekend, too. I have to wait until November for a new system per a deal I cut with my wife, but man I'm still thinking about a new conroe system!

Got mine on Thursday and of course the heat sync fan was off and flopping around. Got that back on and VM is sending a replacement.

Upon plugging it in for the first time today, however, it wont even turn on. I just get all the internal lights blinking and clicking with some sort of rhythmic power surge sort of thing.

VM seems to be a great company, and I'm sure they'll take care of me but it sure is frustrating not to be able to use my new super-duper computer I was all excited about.

I'm extremely frustrated to hear about your trouble, Bartlet. We will certainly get you whole again, but it sure does not make you feel all warm inside when this is how your experience begins. As you mentioned, we will absolutly take care of you, and I sincerely apologize for the aggrevation. The CPU fan failure during shipping has dropped dramatically, but still occasionally occurs. We've stuck with the Arctic Cooling fan because it performs so well, and I promise an improved version is close to being ready. It had to take a pretty good shot from UPS to fall off, and I expect that's what caused the rest of the system problems.

Randy

After building my own machines for years I'm just not into it anymore, and I've been very impressed with what I've read here about VM. I know I'll be paying a premium over buying the parts and putting it together, but I've gotten to the point to where I'd rather just play my games and not fiddling with the guts of a machine. Might have something to do with me converting to the Mac a few years ago for everything but games. I guess I just want to have an experience with a gaming PC that is similar to the one I had when I opened the box of my new MacBook Pro... :)

Anyway, I mainly play World of Warcraft. Yeah, I may dabble a bit with other games, but WoW is where I spend 90% of my gaming time these days.

So I'm looking at the GE 1500. I have a couple of questions...

1. I'm going with 2 gigs of ram. Is the base memory ok or should I splurge for the ultra-low latency stuff?

2. I'm very interested in this machine being as quiet as possible (within price reasonability). Will the Antec PS be $70 worth of quieter?

3. I'm bumping it up to the 7900GT. Should I get the $35 moderate video tuning?

Thanks for the advice. I hope to buy tonight so I can get the weekend bundle/coupon.

I wouldn't bother with the low latency stuff unless you're looking to compete in benchmark races - real world it won't make much of a difference.

Don't know about the PSU so I can't help you there.

As to the moderate video tuning - we've never ordered it before. The basic stuff is mild overclocking if I remember correctly.

I'm sure if you put your order in today you could call their sales tomorrow and ask some of these questions...

Thanks, Randy, for your reply. I did kind of anticipate other potential problems when I saw the fan was off. It can't be good for a computer to have a fan banging around loose inside the case during shipping- not to mentioned the shot it had to take to knock it off. Anyway, I tried re-seating the PSU/motherboard connection and the computer is up and running now. We'll see how it goes.

But to get it back on topic... other than those snafus the machine seems great. Nice build and quiet as heck- especially compared to the self-build monster I had previously. I look forward to taking her out for a spin.

Thanks again.

Sounds good, Bartlet. Again, sorry about the snafu and thanks for the patience. Drop us a note if you need further assistance, and have fun!

Velocity_Micro said:
Correct, the request for windows on our GX series, and the addition of brushed silver aluminum to go with black or blue, came directly from [H] requests and customer calls to us. Our business is giving you guys what you want rather than building something then trying to sell it to you.

Yup...my idea... love that you folks listen to us... WONDERFUL company. If you have any extra GE1500's... please send a freebie my way.. thanks!

Thanks to heavy market price adjustments, the Gamers' Edge 1500 now comes standard with the AMD Athlon X2 4600 processor. This keeps the value way up for this range of system. AMD is still an excellent processor for the money, even with the C2D in the mix with some of our other models. This is just an FYI if you've been thinking about this model from this review.

I found it interesting that the gamers edge starts at a 4600 x2, yet the next model up defaults at x23800. Granted, step up has a 7900 and the other a 7600, but you can configure gamers edge with a 7900 for cheaper :)

Technoob said:
I found it interesting that the gamers edge starts at a 4600 x2, yet the next model up defaults at x23800. Granted, step up has a 7900 and the other a 7600, but you can configure gamers edge with a 7900 for cheaper :)
The GE1500 has always been the value leader for VM, which is why it's so popular. Not so many custom options make it faster/easier to mass build, therefor less.

Back