Venting

sh0rty

[H]ard|Gawd
So I get all excited as I am finally installing that SSD I just got to replace the 150gb raptor. So after 5 freakn hours I give up. I have an older M4A79T, but this damn SSD will not work. I have gotten further and further each time. I normally like to troubleshoot, but this is the first piece of hardware that was one beer from being freakn destroyed! Thank god I had a few cold ones. Anyway just had to vent and the wife could give 2 shits....all i hear is "can I check my email yet?".

lol. sorry. care to elaborate on what youre trouble is?? ive installed 2 different ssds, one on the same board you have, without any issues.

I think I tried everything. I bought a corsair force sata 3 120gb that would not post. I unplugged everything sata and even installed a eide dvd drive to install windows...still no go. I updated the MB bios and then it was at least recognized. I enabled AHCI and would not post. I enabled raid and it was recognized. I had the newest AHCI raid driver on a thumbdrive so I could show the drive as it wold not appear and and windows would not install.....errors out everytime. I am not sure how to overcome this animal. I am back to the original setup with good, but the same speed...was looking for that jump. Any tricks you used to get it going?

um duh. guess i havent had enough coffee today....lol. nvm my previous post..

ok so first thing is to test that drive in another system. if it works then its not the ssd. if it doesn't then chances are the ssd is bad.

I can drop it in a rosewell USB adaptor and it reads fine...format...everything.
I am using win7 pro 64bit

the list below is after trying just about everything else, but this went the furthest.
disconnected all sata, installed eide dvd drive for os install (win 7 64)
changed setting to raid, reboot, changed boot so show new drive (was listed)
loaded drivers on win 7 setup and cannot complete the install...error, reboot, error....

updated bios, downloaded new raid drivers....way too much work for one drive...my 150gb 10K raptor installed in no-time.....so just pissed me off to have to run through 50 different trials to ALMOST get this one going....

thanks for all the comments though..I just had to vent at first.

Last edited:
maybe try a different sata cable and use a different sata port.
you also might want to post this over at the corsair forums. they're pretty good at helping out with their products. could be just an issue with this particular drive and the mobo.

Always install your SSD by itself in AHCI mode.

You shouldn't hafta screw with IDE and should be able to install directly to SATA/AHCI.

However you have an AMD board and AFAIK, AHCI still isn't officially supported.

I know little about AMD but I'm thinking this is a MB/driver problem.

Always install your SSD by itself in AHCI mode.

You shouldn't hafta screw with IDE and should be able to install directly to SATA/AHCI.

However you have an AMD board and AFAIK, AHCI still isn't officially supported.

I know little about AMD but I'm thinking this is a MB/driver problem.

No idea why you would say ahci isnt supported. ive been running ssds in ahci in 2 systems for years now. but yea it does look like an issue with the motherboard and or the drivers/bios. could be that this ssd is newer and why its giving the problems.

No idea why you would say ahci isnt supported
I didn't say that...I said officially supported.

AFAIK, AHCI is a tech that is licensed by Intel...
The Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is a technical standard defined by the Intel Corporation that specifies the operation of Serial ATA (SATA) host bus adapters in a non-implementation-specific manner..

Again AFAIK, AMD has not paid the license to Intel and isn't officially supported.

If the drive is recognized in the BIOS and the USB adaptor I would look for a driver problem.
But again, AMD is not my area of expertise....if I even have any. :)

i also have a Intel g2 SSD on a amd board, works fine.. an old board too.. asus m3a78... AHCI and everything

I can drop it in a rosewell USB adaptor and it reads fine...format...everything.
I am using win7 pro 64bit

the list below is after trying just about everything else, but this went the furthest.
disconnected all sata, installed eide dvd drive for os install (win 7 64)
changed setting to raid, reboot, changed boot so show new drive (was listed)
loaded drivers on win 7 setup and cannot complete the install...error, reboot, error....

updated bios, downloaded new raid drivers....way too much work for one drive...my 150gb 10K raptor installed in no-time.....so just pissed me off to have to run through 50 different trials to ALMOST get this one going....

thanks for all the comments though..I just had to vent at first.

ok i keep hearing the word raid. afaik you do not need to enable raid to use ahci. there should be a section to choose between ide and ahci. ive installed ssds before in ahci mode and did not have to enable any raid settings...i think youve got an issue with the motherboard (either weird incompatibilty or bios setting).

Your mobo has three"strikes":
1)No SATA PnP setting
2)No link state power management setting
3)In the FAQ there are like 6 different entries for various sata problems. In particular, one claims hotplug problems are caused by PSUs that have more than one power connector per wire (yeah, right). The SF2200 simply will not work with a motherboard that doesn't support hotplug.

What happens if you disconnect the ssd's sata data cable, enable AHCI mode, power on the motherboard, and then hotplug the ssd (must use ports 1-4) after post but before starting the Windows install?

Last edited:
1)No SATA PnP setting
3)In the FAQ there are like 6 different entries for various sata problems. In particular, one claims hotplug problems are caused by PSUs that have more than one power connector per wire (yeah, right). The SF2200 simply will not work with a motherboard that doesn't support hotplug.

What happens if you disconnect the ssd's sata data cable, enable AHCI mode, power on the motherboard, and then hotplug the ssd (must use ports 1-4) after post but before starting the Windows install?

This means SATA-I, which does not support hot swap. Unfortunate, but time for a new mobo.

ok i keep hearing the word raid. afaik you do not need to enable raid to use ahci. there should be a section to choose between ide and ahci. ive installed ssds before in ahci mode and did not have to enable any raid settings...i think youve got an issue with the motherboard (either weird incompatibilty or bios setting).
It has an option for EIDE, AHCI or RAID. I can only get the drive to post in bios on RAID.

1)No SATA PnP setting

I haven't tried the hotswap bu thave tried with merely enabling ahci. The drive will not show in bios when I boot it as the only sata drive pluged in and in ahci. It will post when RAID is enabled in both bios and win7 install...it just errors out.

This means SATA-I, which does not support hot swap. Unfortunate, but time for a new mobo.
I have been slowly upgrading this machine with the hopes of having everything I need to jump on the Bulldoser, so I guess this drive can sit and wait, but what a waste.

I haven't tried the hotswap bu thave tried with merely enabling ahci.
\
Right...but if it's a buggy howswap implementation, it may work if you plug the drive in after the mobo has posted.

Back