Ventrilo delays: I hear my teammates fine; they hear me 2-10 seconds later

ceolstan

Weaksauce
First some background:
I had tried Ventrilo back in May without much success. My teammates and I settled on Yahoo Instant Messenger as a result. However, it looks as if our gaming group as a whole will have a dedicated Ventrilo server in the near future. Therefore, I would very much like to be able to use Ventrilo effectively for gaming purposes. I have an ABIT AN-7 motherboard with nForce2 onboard audio. I have downloaded and installed the latest nVidia drivers.

Current situation:
I tried Ventrilo last night. By performing a simple ingame test (typing "1" "2" "3" etc while saying the numbers aloud), we determined that each of them could hear each other as they spoke without any delay. However, while I could hear them as they spoke, they heard me anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds later. From a gaming perspective, this kind of delay is unplayable.

Here are my settings.
I am using Ventrilo version 2.2.0.

In WinXP Pro, I have the microphone input at about 70% and the mic boost box checked. I must check the boost while in Ventrilo. In YiM, I can't be heard unless I uncheck that box.

In Ventrilo setup, I have marked the following under voice:

• Enable outgoing voice communications
    Play key clicks
    Silence Time: .05 seconds
    Sensitivity: 3
    Output Device: nVidia(R) nForce(TM) Audio
    Input Device: nVidia(R) nForce(TM) Audio
    Mixer: nVidia(R) nForce(TM) Audio
    Mux: recording control
    Line: microphone

Hardware is at 6
    Outbound is at -4
    Inbound is at +10

My question is this: What should I check--what settings do I need to adjust--that will enable me to eliminate the lag my teammates experience when listening to me speak? As I mentioned, I can hear them just fine and they can hear each other. The delay occurs only when I speak.

Thanks.

-ceolstan

System Specs:
ABIT AN7 nforce2
AMD XP 2500+
512 RAM
120 gig HD
LG combo drive
floppy
cable modem connection
WinXP Pro

Who is running the server and is it currently dedicated?

Did you check your pings to the server? a 100+ms to the server will make ventrilo unuseable.

It's somewhat unclear from what you posted, but if you are using the autodetect feature to turn the transmit on and off, don't. Having a key bound that you press to talk is definitely the way to go, althought it seems unlikely that this is your problem.

I should have mentioned that I have checked pings. They're at 55-65, so I don't think ping is the issue.

I don't have a bound key--it's autodetect. I agree that this seems unlikely to be the cause. I can test it, of course, by having a bound key. I'll just have to figure which one I don't need when gaming.

--ceolstan

ceolstan said:
I should have mentioned that I have checked pings. They're at 55-65, so I don't think ping is the issue.

I don't have a bound key--it's autodetect. I agree that this seems unlikely to be the cause. I can test it, of course, by having a bound key. I'll just have to figure which one I don't need when gaming.

--ceolstan

autodetect?

i had issues with that in the delay that you speak off. Try binding a key to activate it and see if that fixes your problem. 55-65. that not too bad. How much bandwidth you have it set use?

figgie said:
autodetect?

i had issues with that in the delay that you speak off. Try binding a key to activate it and see if that fixes your problem. 55-65. that not too bad. How much bandwidth you have it set use?

My bandwidth is as follows: bytes: 2210, bits: 17680

I'll see if I can bind a key. It'll be tough; I use quite a few to play and I'll need to have one that's fairly handy. However, I might be able to bind a mouse key. I've got a trackball explorer.

--ceolstan

Back