Verizon SIM card in tablet?

longblock454

2[H]4U
I think this can be done, anyone confirm? I currently have an unlimited data Galaxy Nexus, that I use only for data, last month I had 4 minutes of talk time. I'm planning to buy a new N7 LTE when they are available and I'd like to pull the SIM from my GN and use it on my N7 for data, will it work?

No. Verizon isn't a GSM network, they require devices to be registered on the network before they will work.

Damnit, Ok, thanks for the confirmation. I'd switch to ATT but I hate those bastards more than Veizon.

No. Verizon isn't a GSM network, they require devices to be registered on the network before they will work.
This is true for the CDMA (voice + 3G data) portion of their network....not LTE (4G data)

OP: Try it and see if you get data right away. If you don't, I believe there is a way to change the IMEI on the website in your account manager to match the N7. This might work.

What I'm afraid of is Google (or ASUS) reporting the MEID's of all of the Nexus 7's they ship to the carriers. This would basically tell them what's a tablet and what's not and they could use it to force you to go to the new plans or pay the ridiculous pricing of the old tablet data plans. I had friends who used to buy european phones specifically to get around this on ATT back when they used to differentiate between unlimited smartphone data plans and dumb phone data plans.

I know my friend had a Verizon Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 LTE and when he tried to put the SIM in from his Razr Maxx, it didn't work. But I'm not sure if that tab works on their CDMA/3G network too. The new N7 might still work since it's LTE only.

I wouldn't try it if you value your unlimited data. VZW's system will know that the new device is a tablet if you do an IMEI change, and there's very good odds it'll automagically screw your plan up. Good luck getting it back the way it was.

I wouldn't try it if you value your unlimited data. VZW's system will know that the new device is a tablet if you do an IMEI change, and there's very good odds it'll automagically screw your plan up. Good luck getting it back the way it was.

That doesn't happen. The worse that can happen is that it won't work. The only time I've ever heard of anything like that happening is on AT&T when you took your SIM from a feature phone with unlimited data and put it in an AT&T branded smart phone (that has its IMEI registered with AT&T) so it bumps you from the cheaper unlimited data plan to the more expensive data plan.

That doesn't happen. The worse that can happen is that it won't work. The only time I've ever heard of anything like that happening is on AT&T when you took your SIM from a feature phone with unlimited data and put it in an AT&T branded smart phone (that has its IMEI registered with AT&T) so it bumps you from the cheaper unlimited data plan to the more expensive data plan.

It was a neet little trick to get their non smartphone unlimited data working on smartphones, but this trick doesnt even last a day now before the device is blocked :(

You won't have any issues moving the sim card between tablet, Jetpack, and Phone.

I do it all the time and there are 0 issues. Don't even call or tell anyone.

Update:

My LTE new Nexus 7 arrived today, and yup, swapping my phone SIM card in works great!

Was able to successfully transfer my Xoom VZW Line to Nexus 7 LTE. VZW customer service gave me a lot of shit when transferring the SIM card #'s but they got it done

Back