Verizon Sued For Defending Alleged BitTorrent Pirates

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not one to take sides but I seriously doubt these guys have the money to go up against the likes of Verizon.

A group of adult movie companies is suing Verizon for failing to hand over the personal details of alleged BitTorrent pirates. The provider systematically refuses to comply with court-ordered subpoenas and the copyright holders see these actions as more than just an attempt to protect its customers. According to the them, Verizon’s objections are in bad faith as the Internet provider is profiting from BitTorrent infringements at the expense of lower-tier ISPs.

Something to make me feel good about being on FiOS, especially with all the crap Verizon's pulled in the past few years (with all of their services).

Does this incorporate Verzion wireless too? Not that I'd ever tether my 4G phone to my PC/laptop and download stuff on my grandfathered in unlimited data plan, just curious, that's all, hypothetical question right here.

As for FIOS in my area, it's here, it's fast, but frack, it's fracking expensive!

Bawwwright, proudly a verizon customer. If they had the FIOS in my area I would totally switch Internet wise instead of just Smartphone.

I mean - upholding the rights to privacy of your customers? That SOOOOOOOOOO barbaric! Who does that?! UGH! Seriously, instead of thinking people are entitled to such information, seeing them turn it down is incredibly awesome. If FiOS was in my area I REALLY would switch.

Since when do big companies ever care about their customers? This is certainly a new one...

I'm posting from FiOS right now--when I moved from an area bought by Comcast to an area with actual competition (Comcast, Verizon DSL/FiOS and at least one other) I told the Comcast person that not only was there nothing they could do to retain me but that I'd happily pay more per month to not use their service. Well, switch to a superior service anyway.

You guys on FIOS, is your ping better on average with online speed tests/MP games/etc compared to your old broadband provider? I always wondered this (Still being on broadband myself).

I'm not one to take sides but I seriously doubt these guys have the money to go up against the likes of Verizon.

Not that I agree with 'those guys' at any level, but this statement in and of itself is EXTEMELY sad. Think about it, these people think they were wronged and they apparently have no chance in what is supposed to be an impartial court just because they have a lot less money for lawyers. This makes me weep.

Since when do big companies ever care about their customers? This is certainly a new one...

I'm posting from FiOS right now--when I moved from an area bought by Comcast to an area with actual competition (Comcast, Verizon DSL/FiOS and at least one other) I told the Comcast person that not only was there nothing they could do to retain me but that I'd happily pay more per month to not use their service. Well, switch to a superior service anyway.

Well let's be real here, Verizon charges more for their extra fast FIOS, and who is going to be the prime demographic for that service?

Does this incorporate Verzion wireless too? Not that I'd ever tether my 4G phone to my PC/laptop and download stuff on my grandfathered in unlimited data plan, just curious, that's all, hypothetical question right here.

As for FIOS in my area, it's here, it's fast, but frack, it's fracking expensive!

$99/mo for 150 down 75 up is a damn good price in my mind. You could easily pay the same for much less.

In regards to low pings.

2158244360.png

I used to have Verizon and really enjoyed fios, but moved. I think they know what their customers are going to buy a faster connection for.

You guys on FIOS, is your ping better on average with online speed tests/MP games/etc compared to your old broadband provider? I always wondered this (Still being on broadband myself).

Location is what matters for pings not connection speed for the most part.

If your on fios and the guy on Time warner is closer to the speed testing site he will have lower pings even if your connection is 2x as fast as his.

Well let's be real here, Verizon charges more for their extra fast FIOS, and who is going to be the prime demographic for that service?

Anyone who buys games digitally for one.. Not all high speed internet users are pirates as you are implying.

My Steam downloads consistently hit 2.5MB-3MB/sec (I have the 25/25 package). I'd post a speedtest as well (since this seems to have turned into a FiOS brag thread :p) but I'm not at home right now.

Location is what matters for pings not connection speed for the most part.

If your on fios and the guy on Time warner is closer to the speed testing site he will have lower pings even if your connection is 2x as fast as his.

To an extent (most of the time), I'd agree, but, I have to disagree in some aspect as I'm closer to my cities test server (under 5 miles, I could walk to it) and I have never been lower than 18ms on any (ever) of my broadband speed tests. We have two examples here out of three where they're beating my best ping ever, and their closest speed test severs are within 50 and 100 miles, not within 5. I think (IMO) Verizon FIOS might offer a little better ping overall due to the very new infrastructure, at the least. (degradation)

Eisenblut is a great example, his says ~100 miles and still is 5ms. I'll take that! :D

BbjyL.png

I'm in love, Verison FIOS it is, and, I just found out they don't charge tax on your bill. Woohoo!

Shit

Edit: schizrade is a great example, his says ~100 miles and still is 5ms. I'll take that! :D

2336569063.png

Biz account 35/35, 5IPs; Modified Cisco pix 515e as router/firewall.
Just another happy FiOS customer. :p

2336668495.png

I routinely get 6-9ms pings on certain TF servers. Obviously location is the primary factor but the fiber infrastructure doesn't seem to add much in terms of latency. I only have a lowly 20/20 account though I actually get 28/72 (my wifi limits my upload speed on this comp).

Back