Vertex Throttling

vengence

Level capped
I've been reading way more than I ever wanted to on SSDs today.

Is the throttling just on OCZ drives, or is it something that all drive makers do? I've got a friend that's got everything but the SSD on order and was going to get a Vertex 3 when they release, but what I'm reading now suggests I should have them grab a Gen 2 intel and upgrade to a Gen 3 intel when they release.

The write speed, particularly sequential write speed, degrades on all Sandforce SSDs after the drives have been heavily used. There is no documentation that gives the conditions under which the speed is degraded, how long the degraded speed will last, nor by how much the speed is degraded. Therefore, it is NOT a feature like OCZ claims, but rather a bug or a design flaw in the Sandforce SSDs.

None of the Intel or Crucial SSDs suffer from such a flaw. I don't think any of the other non-Sandforce SSDs have a similar flaw, either.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I think I'm going to recommend an intel 510 120GB then. I didn't realize they were released.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I think I'm going to recommend an intel 510 120GB then. I didn't realize they were released.

Rumor is the Intel 320s will be released by the end of the month, if you can wait that long.

I would just get the 120GB Intel 510 now, newegg bundles it with Shogun 2 for free which makes the price competitive if your interested in the game or can sell it. The G3 or Intel 320 sounds like it will offer capacity over speed. Its cheaper, but still sata 2.

Yeah the SATA 2 made me shy back to the 510. I saw the combo deal and it just got ordered.

Seriously thanks a bunch John. You've been a big help.

Back