Vertical blue lines on display?

Empty_Quarter

2[H]4U
Heya,

I have had this issue for the past month or so, while it isn't much of a problem, its a nuisance, and I wasn't able to find much on what is its cause.

I turn off my monitor whenever it's not in use, and when I turn it on after a prolonged period being off. I get 2 and sometimes 3 blue vertical lines that span the display from top to bottom about 1.75" from the right edge. It starts out with 3 lines (very close to together), and loses one after a few minutes. So say 4 minutes after start-up, the lines just disappear. It's 3 lines now while it was only 1 single line when it first started.

The line pops up from the moment the machine has started, i.e. from the motherboard logo till windows XP, and disappears about 3-4 minutes into start-up. Oddly, the lines do not show up when the monitor has been powered off for a small about of time.

It's not a big deal, but you know... it would be nice to get it fixed :Wink

Here's a mini-picture of what it is. Yeah, its only 1 line as I got my camera started up a little too late. But imagine another line 2 pixels to its right, and 1 pixel to its left, and that's what it looks like when its a fresh monitor power on:

dscn1204sn9.jpg

At first I thought it was a VGA issue because it popped up right after I installed the 8.12 drivers for the 4870x2. Until recently, I sold the 4870x2 and put the 9800GTX in it's place, and yet the same issue remains. What could be the cause?!

Display in question is a Dell 2408WFP

My guess is a bad joint/trace in a column driver. I damaged one of these connections on my wifes computer when replacing a dead backlight one time. Hers never went back, I did it by putting too much pressure on the ribbon cable at the top of the panel.

I don't think it is repairable, as far as I know anyways. If anyone knows otherwise I would LOVE to hear it.

Back