Very basic newbie questions

budec

Gawd
I've never modded before; but familiar with computers in general.

Few questions. I have a sliver aluminum case (Lian-li PC-37A to be exact: http://www.firingsquad.com/hw/2103/Lian_Li_PC-37/). It's sliver and wish it to be black.

Would simple spray paint work or would it look like shit? How could I give it a good paint job?

Also has no side window. I have no specialized tools to do this. Am I out of luck? Can I buy the tools/parts to make a window for under $20?

Not sure how well spray paint will work if you want to keep the lian li brushed alu finish...

I agree with doctah....painting that type of case won't really turn out right.

Luckily, the tools needed to carve out a window can be obtained cheaply. If you are on a tight budget, go with a manual nibbler like this one. You need something to make a starter hole, but other than that, all you need is the little nibbler. Just take your time and above all be patient with it. You might want to invest in a small file, just to sand down the inevitable rough edges one of those guys will leave behind. Also, remember: measure 20,000 times, cut once.

It's far from the best solution, but if you are on a real tight budget and don't have the space or tools to do metal cutting, one of those little nibblers is your best bet. Your other option would be to see if a local hardware store or (ugh) Home Depot would be willing to do the cut for you.

That being said, saving up and buying a Dremel (even an entry-level one) would be the best solution. It's an extremely handy tool to have around the house.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back