VERY Disapointed at EVGA 7900GT KO 512MB

whats the difference in 3dmark05 01 and 06? Why doesnt anyone ever post 2006 results instead of 2005?

most people are still use to 3dmark05 including myself, i have no clue what 06 marks mean in terms of evaluating performance

as for f.e.a.r try setting cpu/gfx both to medium then it should run pretty smoothly at 1680x1050

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2812&p=7

^ The 7900GT in that review isn't even 512

Also, I heard the 7900GT 512 was about as fast as a 7900GTX 256?

Edit: http://www.digital-daily.com/video/palit-7900gt-512mb/index02.htm yeah I'd say it performs pretty fucking well for $150 less than the GTX

Also I wouldn't worry about single player games not having amazing fps, its when you're playing against people in multiplayer games where it actually counts. I would also hold off on getting another 7900GT for SLI and just wait until DX10 cards come out, one 7900GT will hold you over pretty damn well for that.

XLeezardx said:
whats the difference in 3dmark05 01 and 06? Why doesnt anyone ever post 2006 results instead of 2005?

Because ppl who run rigs without a dual core cpu feel inferior to us dual core'ers when 06 scores are posted ;)

05 makes them feel better :D

Nugget said:
I think you're expecting way too much out of that card, or any card. Oblivion at that resolution should look like a slideshow, at least outdoors -- I'm surprised you can play at all. To game at that resolution in Oblivion you better start looking into some SLI.

QFT

3 months ago, I got pissed and sold my gaming rig because a newly released X1900XT STILL couldn't keep Oblivion @ top notch IQ and FPS. Dipping into the teens with major foilage/battle just didn't sit right with me. So off I went to stick a meager 6200 in the rig. A few days ago, I went to play Halo again. 640x480, low detail...and I had a BLAST! Yeah, it looked like crap, but I still had fun.

So now, some time later, I'm welcoming myself to "good enough" gaming. Coined from a friend, but basically it means:

1. Stick to a res of 1280x1024
2. AA's a luxury
3. High detail's overated
4. Enjoy the game
5. ENJOY THE GAME!!!

With that in mind, the rig in sig's doing more than I'd hoped for. Good luck and remember to have fun when you're playing the game!

Tigerblade said:
Because ppl who run rigs without a dual core cpu feel inferior to us dual core'ers when 06 scores are posted ;)

LOL! Talk about case in point:
Faction said:
because 06 scews to dualcore people im my opinion.

Oblivian isnt that Bad with this card overclocked to 600/1650. I play in 1680x1050 with defult settings just fine. With full graphics up, HDR on AA off, the graphics are just Beatiful. Only thing is its a little choppy and jittery lol. I need SLI

XLeezardx said:
I need SLI

You need Quad SLI...wait...maybe we should all just hold out for a couple years, then play it. Seriously, has anyone seen how smooth Halo/UT2004 are on a 7900GT? Remember when they chugged on a TI4200/8500?

Jodiuh said:
You need Quad SLI...wait...maybe we should all just hold out for a couple years, then play it. Seriously, has anyone seen how smooth Halo/UT2004 are on a 7900GT? Remember when they chugged on a TI4200/8500?

I still play Starcraft brood wars and I get great FPS with my 7900GT! ;)

Tigerblade said:

F that!!!! I have a dual core, and 05 still makes me feel better. Aquamark3 is even better than that!!!! The bigger the number, the better to me. All I know is I bench a 12000 in 05 and a 8600 in 06.....see where im going with this?

(you do know im joking, right......?)

I don't get it.

I picked up the EVGA 512mb 7900GT last week and it has completely revitalized my gaming experience.

With Oblivion at 1600x1200, I can play with all of the graphics sliders at the far right. On actor, item and object fade the slider is inbetween the middle and the right. Self shadows are off, shadow filtering is on low (I can't really tell to much of a difference between low and high), the grass slider is a little to the left of the middle (the grass annoys me). All of the other options are either on or on high. Specular distance is all the way to the right.

I don't know about my FPS, but my gameplay is generally smooth. There's some chop, but the game is 100% playable even while getting attacked by Timber wolves in the forest.

If I don't mind fiddling with the visuals everytime I go into a city, then I can move every slider to the right and turn every feature on and not have an issue. I haven't tried a dungeon yet, because I just reinstalled Oblivion Wednesday Night.

It's the same experience with Shadowgrounds too. I've got every option on very high with 16x AF and 4x AA and the game runs beautifully smooth. I had to run it at 1024x768 with my x1800XL if I wanted all of the graphics on very high or I had to compromise at 1280x1024.

I can't find anything to fault this card on. My specs are: Abit KN8 Ultra, AMD64 3700, 2 gigs of OCZ memory and the 512mb 7900GT at factory settings/speed.

Pooky said:
I don't get it.

I picked up the EVGA 512mb 7900GT last week and it has completely revitalized my gaming experience.

Turn them ALL to the right. Now flip on HDR or AA. Go to the middle of a very grassy hill and fight 3 or 4 NPC's w/ lots of magic. Run Fraps if you like, but you'll be around 7-10FPS. Maybe that doesn't bug you...

I hate to bring up an old post but how would this card fare at 1280x1024 on games like FEAR and HL2?

i have 2 XFX 7900GT 256mb, i'm able to play FEAR at maximum settings on everything with 96% over 40% on just one card. it looks amazing and plays great. if it didn't i would enable sli and get even more out of it. i think my minimum fps was 39 and average is 78 fps.

Back