Very strange problems...

Raxxath

Limp Gawd
Last night I was using my computer as usual(not the one in my sig), everything going fine, when it started to get a bit laggy. I figured it was simply because I had been using it all day pretty heavily, so I restarted it to free up the ram and whatnot. When it restarted, there was no video. Knowing that it loses video when the Audigy 2 sound card comes ever so slightly ajar from its PCI slot, I opened it up, and reinserted the sound card, along with tightening the screw on the video card slightly too. It powered back up seemingly fine, so I shut it back down and went to bed.

This morning when I tried to turn it on, there was no video again. Thinking that it might be the sound card again, I tried removing the coaxial cable I have connected to it and my z-5500 speakers, while leaving the card itself alone. Oddly enough, that worked, and it booted. However, it stayed on the Windows screen with the loading bar for an abnormally long time. Once on the desktop, I found everything extremely laggy. It took minutes for anything to open, and things kept crashing. The CPU usage is not abnormally high during this at all, either.

To make a long story short, after removing the sound card and reinserting the video card over and over, things are no better. If I screw the video card in to its slot, I get no video, as its slightly bent(strange that this never came up before in the months I've used this card). Uninstalling the Creative drivers actually made things quite a bit faster for some strange reason(it was next to unusable before), but everything continues to be slow, very prone to crashing and freezing, and just FUBAR in general.

Furthermore, this computer has two hard drives, separated by a switch. Only one is ever powered on at a time, effectively giving me two separate systems in one. The one I'm typing from now seems to be unaffected as far as I can tell, while the other has gone to crap. I do a little torrenting on the screwed up drive- is it possible I got a virus or something? I managed to scan with both AVG and Spybot, turning up a few minor things on AVG, and nothing on Spybot(I use Firefox and noscript, so Spybot never has anything to report). Or perhaps the hard drive is dying? Its a few month old 750gb WD GP drive.

It strikes me as extremely odd that these seemingly unrelated video and lag issues would come at the exact same time... can anyone help me figure out WTF is going on? :confused:

I ran a HD Tach test, and came up with a 3.5 mb/s average read time, with 48% CPU utilization, and 4.1 mb/s burst speed... pretty sure that's not normal :p. I also checked the SMART status in Everest, but everything passed as normal. What is going on?

That is strange... I would like to point at Creative but you remove it and try booting up already.

Is DMA enabled?

Direct memory access? I have no idea... I wouldn't know where to enable it either.

For somewhat brief periods it seems to be running at fairly normal speed, but things are still unstable during those times, and they aren't occurring often. It wasn't even recognizing the drive earlier today, until I took it off the DPDT switch and plugged it directly into the PSU.

I just tried the drive in my other rig, and its working perfectly. HD Tune looks completely normal. So does that mean the problem is with the motherboard? Or is it some setting somewhere? As far as I know, I've made sure UDMA is on in the device manager.

Back