VGA NV Silencer in stock at newegg today Aug-18

tamislan

Weaksauce
... in case no one knew...

The new Arctic Cooling VGA Silencers are now in stock and available to buy at newegg. I just noticed this a few minutes ago and I thought I'd let you wonderful people know, as I am aware that many of you have been salivating for these now for weeks. The 6800/gt/ultra version (NV silencer 5) is also available there too. That one is $40. I'm holding off on purchasing one of this new generation until we hear some results.

Here's the 6800 version:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-186-120&depa=0

(I bet next time I look it won't be in stock ;))

Will my XFX vanilla 6800 be compatible with this kick ass cooler ?

Haha! I paid less than half that price for the Silencer 3 for my old ATI 9800 pro 128, so my question is, did you see _this_ on the description:
Arctic Cooler NV Silencer 5: Way overpriced
I am not going to pay $40 and risk voiding my warranty. $20 would be a different story...
Let's see how others get on with it.

PS: Watercooling does seem to be the way to go. I am keeping it in mind for my next major upgrade next year. Good luck with it.

AmT: Yes, but I seriously doubt it's going to help overclocking much. The main benefit of the silencers is that the heat is vented outside the case. Other than that, they won't cure cancer. I know, I've got one on my 9800 Pro. I might have squeezed another 5 MHz out of it and that was with Arctic Silver too (and I'm good at applying it, damnit!).

they're better at cooling right???

i have the new fan on my BFG GT and it sucks at cooling, my room is airconditioned and my card is hot as hell.

PP: I have that same card and while it seems to be 4-5 degrees warmer than the reference card stats I've heard on here, it's not bad at all. I have run it at 420/1100 in D3 just for the heck of it and I saw no issues. I haven't tried pushing its ceiling yet though.

I'm guessing the ventilation in your case isn't exactly wonderful. The Silencer helps with that part though by directly expelling the hot air out of the case. So it should definitely be cooler in your particular setup, but I doubt it'll help your OC by a heck of a lot - you might squeeze another 10-15 MHz out of your card but at $40 that's a lot to pay for such a small increase, plus you void your warranty...

So you think its safe for me to bump up my memory frequences and/or clock freq ? Even with the crappy cheapo XFX heatsink/fan ? Wouldn't it help cool the core chip with this big ass cooler. On the galaxy 6800 they use this cooler and can OC the core almost to 400. Mine's at 325 now

ALSO... Do you think that this heatsink is glued onto the chip ? Will it be easy to slide off the piece of crap cooler ?

AmT - I can't tell you what to do, dude. You should be able to overclock your card somewhat with the stock Heat Sink Fan without any problems (I'm doing it on the so-called crappy custom fan that BFG use on their newer GT OC cards). It's important to remember that the main advantage (and selling point) of the Silencers from the enthusiast's point of view is that they expel the hot air straight out of the case and don't add to the system temperature. They're very quiet too though.

If you're overclocking, the main issue is temperature - follow the instructions elsewhere on here for trying it out. At least install coolbits and see what it detects as your optimal frequencies. It's usually pretty conservative in its estimations.

I'm going to dl coolbits and check it out. I'm still debating whether to get the Artic VGA cooler. I'm a little afraid of messing up my new vid card. I want the core at least 350, hopefully 400.

I'm not too familar with vid card OCing, if i slowly up the core and mem settings, by 5 mhz increments - there's really no risk of damage ; right ? :confused:

I didn't realize the XFX has 2.8 ns memory. I wonder if I'll be able to reach a 400mhz core with such memory

tamislan said:
Haha! I paid less than half that price for the Silencer 3 for my old ATI 9800 pro 128, so my question is, did you see _this_ on the description:

I am not going to pay $40 and risk voiding my warranty. $20 would be a different story...
Let's see how others get on with it.

PS: Watercooling does seem to be the way to go. I am keeping it in mind for my next major upgrade next year. Good luck with it.
Look at the base of the cooler it's copper, my VGA Silencer REV 3 is aluminum.

Major A: Yes but so is my BFG's custom fan. The composition of the cooler impacts on heat conductivity but surface area for air interaction is a lot more important than the metal used in the heat sink.

I am all for this new silencer but not at $40... I think I'll wait a few months and see how well people do with them.

I'm not going to argue that it is overpriced but I think the price might have to do with the materials used.

Point taken with regard to the cost of copper versus aluminium. It's still not $40 worth though.

Wich0 said:
I guess they figure if you can buy a $400-$600 video card why not a $40 cooler for it?
Because they might actually have a brain as well as money :).

Circuitbreaker8 said:
40$?! Are the fuckin insane?!

45$ after shipping :p. i already bought mine for $30 shipped and i thought that was too high.

If I could find a fucking 6800GT somewhere, i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

This lack of video cards supply is getting fucking old. :mad:

I want one pretty badly.

I was very happy with my Rev3 on my 9600XT.
I got it for $10.

$40 is way to much. $20 is good. $30 is maybe.

From NewEgg the total for me in CA would be about $48. DAMN!!!

maxxo - nicely spotted. I hope you get a better OC than that guy did though - 428 on the GPU is pretty disappointing considering what most people get with the standard heatsink/fan they receive. I have a feeling that the NV 5 silencer isn't going to change people's lives...

The NV5 would be a good option for people with the Asus 6800 Ultra like me. They opted for the single slot design and the heatsing on there is pretty weak. Otherwise I dont think its worth the price. I have a 120mm fan on top drawing the hot air out so the NV5 would not benefit me that much when it comes to sucking hot air out. I did use their Ver 3 on my 9800 pro with very good results. It made the artifacts go away in D3 plus a higher core.

i'll wait until it's available from a non-price gouging vendor.

AmT said:
Will my XFX vanilla 6800 be compatible with this kick ass cooler ?
I'll let you know when I get mine, AmT. I will be ordering one tonight. :cool:

I have the XFX 6800 GT, but it should fit both just the same.

IceWind said:
If I could find a fucking 6800GT somewhere, i'd buy it in a heartbeat.

This lack of video cards supply is getting fucking old. :mad:

there were two on the shelf yesterday at the BB in mishawaka...heh

Krepta said:
I'll let you know when I get mine, AmT. I will be ordering one tonight. :cool:

I have the XFX 6800 GT, but it should fit both just the same.
Hey guys, finally got my NV5 Cooler in. Installed it on my XFX GeForce FX 6800 GT, and it works great! :) Quiet as a tomb.

Wasn't very hard. Had to remove a whole bunch of screws, apply thermal paste on eight RAM chips and the GPU itself, but no problems what-so-ever.

It will fit every 6800 (plus GT & Ultra) available.

Krepta - congratulations. What difference does it make to your temps and OC results? My NV5 is set to arrive tomorrow (Friday).

Edit: I waited until I was home in Europe and bought it in Germany btw, for about $25. Newegg's price gouging really makes me not want to buy stuff from them again.

tamislan said:
Krepta - congratulations. What difference does it make to your temps and OC results? My NV5 is set to arrive tomorrow (Friday).

Edit: I waited until I was home in Europe and bought it in Germany btw, for about $25. Newegg's price gouging really makes me not want to buy stuff from them again.
tamislan, the NV5 makes quite a difference. With stock XFX 6800 GT cooler, I was averaging temps of 82C at IDLE! Above 100C at load. The funny thing is that Doom3 at 1600x1200 never crashed once, but the Dawn of War Beta would hard reset every other time.

I believe part of the reason for these high temps was very little physical connection between cooler and GPU.

Now, with the NV5, I'm getting 52C at idle, and between 65-75C at load. Big difference, and lengthing the life of my card while its at it. :)

Back