VGA problems when OCing my Q6600 to 3.0Ghz.

WanTeD

Limp Gawd
I just did what its being shown in this video:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/940394/4_0ghz_overclocking_by_core_2_quad_q6600/

I OCed it to 3.0Ghz, everything seems fine, Prime95 and all. But when I'm playing a game (Was playing "gears of war"), the game sometimes stops, I get an error than the graphics card stopped responding to driver calls, but I can resume the game normally after that.

Is it because the game is badly implemented or what?

System:

Q6600
Asus P5Q pro
2x2gb Corsair XMS2 DHX 6400 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145194

I'm using inte's HSF for now, but isn't it supposed to make it reach around 3.0 at least?

I get an error than the graphics card stopped responding to driver calls

Thats more of an indication the graphics card is overheating than something with the CPU.

It could also be the MCH/Northbridge overheating but that is less likely.

Easy test, take the side cover off of the pc so the video card gets all that nice cool room air, if the problem happens a lot less often and/or stops that pretty much indicates you need better airflow in the case or something else depending on what video card you have, Try that as an easy no cost first test.

If this had never happened before you OCed and started just after that would point to the MCH/Nortthbridge which transfers informatin between the cpu and video card. It might just be overheating because of the additional heat in the case from the OC. Removing the side panel should help it as well,

So pull the side off, if the problem goes away that will confirm it is heat related and not just a software issue with the game or pushing that stock heatsink just a tad too far. Wtih good case airflow they will do 3.0Ghz but in a non-enthusiast case with say only an 80mm fan in the lower front and power supply fan to exhaust air, it can get toasty in there.

How did he come up with those high percentage overclocks? Because a Q6600 @ 3.0 gighz is only a 25% overclock yet this guy says 125% overclock.

Try placing your pci clocks to 100 and lock it, some say 101 you can try both, as maybe it is running your pci-e frequency too high.

Good Day

Sounds like he is taking 100% as the base so 125% will be a 25% overclock (as you said)

Think its mainly done to have a bigger visual effect for a small overclock.

As for following the video, remember each chip is different. Some can hit 4GHz on stock (very very rare) others (like mine) needed 1.45v to hit 3GHz. You really need to fine tune the voltage to get things working correctly.

How did he come up with those high percentage overclocks? Because a Q6600 @ 3.0 gighz is only a 25% overclock yet this guy says 125% overclock.

Try placing your pci clocks to 100 and lock it, some say 101 you can try both, as maybe it is running your pci-e frequency too high.

Good Day

+1, when I OC'ed my Q6600, i left a couple of things I didnt know on Auto, and one of them was the PCIe Frequency. Make sure you put that at 100. Some boards ramp that up as you increase the OC.

Power supply can't handle the OC and the PCI-E video card

I OCed it back to 3.0ghz, and tried it with Unreal Tournament 3, for more than an hour.

Seems to work fine.

I'll try different games and see if it's stable.

Back