VGA to Component Video Adapter

SpangeMonkee

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone ever use a HD15 (VGA) to Component Video Adapter?

They're only $15 or so.. I was wondering if this would be a big difference over S-Video on my non-HDTV TV..?

Here's a link to one..

10h1-50103.jpg

Wouldn't it allow you to have the TV (presuming it has the HDTV connects/compatibility) run at the higher resolution (1040i?)?

I thought the standard S-Video out and V-out were just 480i.

Originally posted by Spidey329
Wouldn't it allow you to have the TV (presuming it has the HDTV connects/compatibility) run at the higher resolution (1040i?)?

I thought the standard S-Video out and V-out were just 480i.

yeah, it would improve the image quality on an HDTV... I guess I should've mentioned that I have a non-HDTV TV..

/me clicks edit button..

I bet the video would be much better than your standard RCA jack. Probably depends on video card support though.

Those RCA jacks are probably just wired straight to each RGB coax on the HD15. You need a transcoder to do what you're talking about. Key Digital and Audio Authority make them among others.

the description is misleading..

it converts a MALE connector.. the VGA end on the adapter itself is actually FEMALE.. Hard to tell from the pic..

Originally posted by SpangeMonkee
the description is misleading..

it converts a MALE connector.. the VGA end on the adapter itself is actually FEMALE.. Hard to tell from the pic..

That's an easy fix. Just get a Female to Female or Male to Male adapter.

Originally posted by Spidey329
That's an easy fix. Just get a Female to Female or Male to Male adapter.

yeah.. I don't want to waste the money if it doesn't work (which it prolly won't)

Originally posted by SpangeMonkee
yeah.. I don't want to waste the money if it doesn't work (which it prolly won't)

The adapter is only like $2. But I don't think it will work without an HDTV or an HDTV converter box (for those wanting to convert HDTV signals to 480i).

I thought the main difference was that on a standard VGA (yellow) all three colors (Red, Green, and Blue - RGB) were handled in the one connector. Where as with the HDTV, it's handled with three connectors, one for each color. So you'd probably (guessing if it even worked) end up with a really funky picture.
*shrug*

Back