Vibration Packs Aim to Replace Batteries for Gadgets

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A Japanese firm is testing out batteries that recharge on just a shake of the wrist. It is in the early stages of development and no plans to take it to market yet, but the idea is sound and green

The mechanism works similarly to that of a bicycle light dynamo, only in this instance movement from a few shakes provides the energy to power. "Our Vibration Energy Cells generate electricity using a coil, a magnet, and condenser that charges electricity. These are all embedded in the battery," a Brother spokesman told BBC News.

is this going to be like those battery-less flashlights they released a while ago? The ones that used a coil and magnet design that you shake to recharge?

Cause those things sucked, you would shake it for a hour before you had a 3 second charge, Aside from a great forearm exercise they were completely useless.

This is new?

I used to have an LED flashlight like this... It was dim and ran down almost instantly.

I hope this "new" version is more efficient.

Aah Everybody, get your device, let's dance!
Don't fight the feelin', give yourself a chance!

Shake shake shake, shake shake shake,
Shake your E-cell! Shake your E-cell!
Oh, shake shake shake, shake shake shake,
Shake your E-cell! Shake your E-cell.

Aah, You can, you can do it very well.
You're the best in the world, I can tell.

Oh, Shake shake shake, shake shake shake,
(WoWohoo,Yeah!)
Shake shake, shake shake!

61CWxIUphqL.jpg

(WoWohoo,Yeah!)

61CWxIUphqL.jpg

What the FUCK just happened?

Seiko's Kinetic series watches have been doing this for years. I've been waiting for a scaled-up version to be integrated into a cell phone case for a while. May not be feasible for such a high-drain device though.

Some of you will never need to buy batteries for that fleshlight again!

(WoWohoo,Yeah!)

/snip

Thank you for the many luls.

This idea sucks.

Scale them up for use in Electric Autos & TPTB will have a Green reason for keeping the roads in poor condition, like they need another excuse. :eek:

EXACTLY and then you could use them to power the vibrating cells on other devices. Like you could have a 3 vibrator "battery" for your laptop or 20 for your car. This could save the earth! In frictionless enviroments like space this would be more fficient and the perpetual motion could be used to power lightspeed travel and shit.

I really hope this comes to market. My days need more laughter. Nothing better than watching the sheeple jack off their phones on the morning commute.:D

is this going to be like those battery-less flashlights they released a while ago? The ones that used a coil and magnet design that you shake to recharge?

Cause those things sucked, you would shake it for a hour before you had a 3 second charge, Aside from a great forearm exercise they were completely useless.
Bingo. There are lots of technical problems with this:
1) The design is nothing special--a magnet, a coil, a couple of diodes, a capacitor, and perhaps a voltage regulator. It sounds exactly like the shake-flashlights of a few years back.
2) Capacity is going to be abysmal. Not only do capacitors have a much lower energy density than Alkaline cells, but the magnet/coil/electronics take up significant space, further reducing capacity.
Seiko's Kinetic series watches have been doing this for years. I've been waiting for a scaled-up version to be integrated into a cell phone case for a while. May not be feasible for such a high-drain device though.
Yeah--watches run on nano- and pico amps, which is why a CR2016 cell can power your watch for 5 years. So even the inefficient energy harvesting provided bu such a mechanism is enough to power the watch.

Back