Vid Upgrade for C2D e6600 system.

FireStormGS

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have an ati x1950gt. What vid cards should I be looking at as an upgrade while not letting the cpu be a bottleneck? A HD4850 maybe?

That would be a solid start to not blowing the bank.

Depending on your resolution maybe even a 4830.

HD 4850 or HD 4870. Your CPU would be fine with either. You don't need to have an absolutely zero CPU bottleneck. If the price is right go for the better card - you'll still see a benefit in non-cpu bound gaming situations.

hey, i was just about to make this same topic. im looking at a GTX 260 Core 216 SSC Edition and was wondering if it was too much. i have an 8800gts (640) atm and i game at 1920x1200.

I currently have an ati x1950gt. What vid cards should I be looking at as an upgrade while not letting the cpu be a bottleneck? A HD4850 maybe?
e6600 certainly isnt too bad and wouldnt noticeably hold back the 4850. that being said I would oc that cpu a little though just to get the most out of your new video card.

hey, i was just about to make this same topic. im looking at a GTX 260 Core 216 SSC Edition and was wondering if it was too much. i have an 8800gts (640) atm and i game at 1920x1200.
what are the rest of your specs? always list those when asking about hardware upgrades.

i have an e6600 as well, thats why i posted in this thread and didn't make a new one. 2gigs ram. i was looking around and i think, with a bios update, i can run a newer quad core on my ab9 quadgt, but i'd rather not spend the money if i dont have to.

If the motherboard allows it, the e6600 should easily overclock to 3Ghz merely by increasing the FSB speed - no voltage mods needed, no extra cooling required (the stock Intel cooler is reasonably good).

By doing that, you can look at the GTX260 216 vs 4870 1GB battle (they are roughly equal in performance) or go even faster with with a GTX 285.

I have an E6600 at 3.2 with stock voltage, 4 gigs ram, and a GTX 280. Runs great at 1920x1200 even with Crysis on highest setting.

If the motherboard allows it, the e6600 should easily overclock to 3Ghz merely by increasing the FSB speed - no voltage mods needed, no extra cooling required (the stock Intel cooler is reasonably good).

By doing that, you can look at the GTX260 216 vs 4870 1GB battle (they are roughly equal in performance) or go even faster with with a GTX 285.

Uh yeah, I have a c2d e6600 and it won't run stable at 3ghz unless I volt it up to 1.375-1.4v, ram from 1.8v to 2.0v.

Merely "increasing the FSB speed" will put you on the fast track to blue screens and corrupted OS installs.

BE CAREFUL!

There's way too much "oh yeah just up the FSB!" bullshit, unsafe advice here these days. NOT every CPU overclocks magically like this, they're all different, please play it safe before you have to re-image your drive because you got a bit too excited messing with settings in your BIOS.

Yea I've already got it OC'd to a little over 3Ghz right now. Thanks for the input guys.

i have got a E6600 been running at 3.2ghz for last 2 years. and recently i bought a sapphire hd 4870. running on windows 7 64bit with 5GB ram. everything running on stock voltage with intel stock cooler. no problem or bottleneck what so ever :D

Back