Video Adapter Error

cfetter79

Limp Gawd
Haven't been on here in quite a while... I feel so out of the loop.. hehe

I decided to move my box into another room of the house (to make our nursury for the new addition in 2 mos.). I set everything up in the new location, plug in the power, and push the power button - nuthin. The LED on my ASUS mobo lit up, but would not power. I even manually shorted the power switch pins thinking the button failed. Nope. New PSU later and voila', it turns on no problem. Problem solved.... nope.

Now, with the new PSU, it powers up, but it won't post at all, won't even trigger the monitor to come out of "sleep". I get one long, and two short beeps which translates into "Video adapter error" from the ASUS site. My really stupid question is this: does that mean the vid card is bad, or is it the PCI-E slot in the mobo? I don't want to keep throwing new parts at it ifi they're not defective (again, baby coming, budget... etc.). I don't have a spare vid card laying around to try that.

Any thoughts? I appreciate any help!

Thank you!

Caleb

So this computer worked in another location and now it's not working in the new location? Had you taken the computer apart and reassembled it or something? Did you get a new psu cuz you thought the other was busted when you powered it on initially? Also, does the place where you put your computer have adequate power or is properly certified for that kind of power draw? You mentioned it was a nursery so I don't know if this is in some portion of the nursery that may have been improperly wired or something.

I'd check to make sure every power cord is connected and double check your video card's power connections. Check to make sure the card as well as other components are seated properly. If the contents were shifted while you moved it, make sure the motherboard or any other metal part is not contacting a bare surface in your case. If it's static, try leaving the computer off and unplugged overnight and see if that helps.

I don't think the 120V out the wall is an issue, also, it is plugged into a decent UPS that has worked well for me. Yes, the computer worked great. I shut it down, moved it, plugged stuff in, and nothing. The old (Antec) PSU was dead, it wouldn't turn on at all. Once I put the new one in, it turned on fine. I could hear the HDD's starting up, fans, leds, etc. But no post and then the error beeps. I've reseated the card a few times, tried plugging the monitor into the other DVI out, and even tossed it into the other PCI-E slot (although I knew it wouldn't work there). I'm pretty confident that the vid card is at fault, but again, I'm trying to stay away from just buying parts and throwing them at the PC (not literally of course.. .hehe).

I just want to make sure the 1 long 2 short beep code (Video adapter error) means the card is bad, not the slot itself.

Thank you again...

Caleb

Well, new vid card (9800GT) and still the issue. I guess it's the slot itself?!?!? Time to order a new mobo. It's pretty much the only thing left.

Back