1g RAMs
7800GTX @ 460/1420
19 LCD

while playing NWN2 @ 1280 x 1024 ,even 1024 x 768
It sucks:(
average 17-21fps ,sometimes 12-15fps
unless I turn off the AA/AF

Which video card would be better for upgrading ? or waiting for months

No, it is the shadow quality. Turn that down and it will fix the FPS issues. I get low FPS on my 8800 GTS 640 with shadows all maxed. Anyways, I bought the game the very day it came out. I am sure that this is issue. Had the same problem with my 7900 GT.

I play the game fine at 1280x960 on a 7900 GT, but my system has 2GB ram. I'd recommend a memory upgrade - none of the new games I've seen this past year have been particularly happy on 1GB. I also have an Athlon 64 4600+ X2, but that shouldnt matter much in this game.

My settings:

1280x960
All shadows enabled
Alll misc enabled
0xAA

Char shadow map: 1024
Environment shadow maps: 2048
Bloom effects on
Party light sources on
Anistropy set to on, Low
Water reflections and refractions on.

While I havn't played through the whole game yet, I have yet to see my framerate drop below 20fps.

If you simply MUST have AA turned on at 1280, I'd recommend a beefier card, like an 8800-series.

I agree. NWN2 is much like NWN in that it is far more CPU-dependent than video dependent. That's not to say that your CPU is the problem, as many people have reported issues with even the most high-end systems. I waited until there were patches to get the game, and even then, I read through their forums to find the optimal settings. There are a few tweaks that you can probably do that would help performance on your system. Like defaultluser, I have a midrange system and have zero performance issues with the game. I think once my FPS dropped to 17 for a few seconds while there were a bajillion spell effects going off. Other than that, I get up to 70, and usually hover around 35-40.

I have a C2D 1.86 OC to 2.8, 2Gb RAM, 7900GS OC to 594/1.6.

Game settings:
1440x900
AA2X/AF on
Low Shadows
Point Light Shadows enabled
Texture Resolution High
Bloom effects ON
2 lights per object
Water effects on
EAX

The graphics in this game are by far the best feature but it doesn't seem to matter too much which card you have as long as it's a 7900 series or above. If you're looking for a new card, I'd definitely recommend the 8600GTS if you don't want to spend $300.

v

I am playing at 1280x1024 on a 6600gt and 1GB of RAM (have 2, but left half of it out while troubleshooting different issue and haven't rebooted in a couple months to reinstall it) and it runs decent. I probably don't have all the pretties turned on, but I can't complain.

The graphics in this game are by far the best feature but it doesn't seem to matter too much which card you have as long as it's a 7900 series or above. If you're looking for a new card, I'd definitely recommend the 8600GTS if you don't want to spend $300.

The original poster has a 7800 GTX running at the same clock speed as a 7900 GT stock. They are virtually the same card.

The 8600 GTS offers almost no improvement over the 7900 GT, except in isolated instances. I would suggest instead that the poster sell the 7900 GT for around $130 or so and get an 8800 GTS 320 MB.

I played the game on a C2D 6600 and 7900 GS overclocked. I got around 25 fps average on 1680x1050 with fairly high settings.

That game just seems like it's not optimized IMO. I'm on an 8800GTX and my system is pretty solid (see my sig), yet no matter what, the game only looks pretty average and has framerate hiccups.
Vista shockingly added a little performance over XP, but it's still running like a game that should be much more advanced.
I dunno. While it's not a bad game, it's definitely not as good as NWN1 or the Baldur's Gate games.

8800GTS

avg 24fps
min 15fps

orz ...:(

nwn_4x.gif

3.jpg

This game has a terribly programmed engine. It runs slower than Oblivion, though it hasn't a third of the visual beauty. It's wrong to decide on an upgrade based on this game. Just finish it on low settings and move on to another game.

Back