Video card in 4 year old system died, need upgrade.

Hiltonizer

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey All,

I have a Q6600 powered system with an Gigabyte EP35 board (pci-x 1.0 I believe)

What would be a good card to put in this thing since my 9800gt died? I've been meaning to upgrade anyway. Would like to stay in the $150 ballpark.

The 7850 that was linked above fits nicely in the $150 price range. Much better than the 650gtx that nvidia offers at the same price point.

sounds good... wasn't sure if the new cards were compatible with the older slot.

Much appreciated.

Have you tried the oven trick on your old card? The soldering sucked on some of those cards and sometimes all you needed was even heat across the card; basically a ghetto solder reflow.

I did that on a 8800GT well over a year ago and it's still plugging along. So it can/does work

jime

sounds good... wasn't sure if the new cards were compatible with the older slot.

Much appreciated.

Totally compatible. There were issues with first-generation platforms and 2.0/3.0 cards, but the later revisions have full support. I ran my GTX 460 (PCIe 2.0) on my P35 motherboard without a hitch.

Just remember that you can't have anything ON the card when you do this - not the HSF unit(especially with that soft plastic fan on it), the sinks on the MOSFETs, as well as the PCI retention plate. It has to be *bare* PCB.

Back