Video Card on a Budget

Shakezilla

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi I am new to these forums and new to building comps. I am going to be building my first comp pretty soon hopefully within a month. But I am on a budget, I wana first know what you guys thinks would be the best Video Card for between 100-150 dollars, I also want to know if a card in that price range would be capable of running CS: Source at a playable speed.
Thankyou for any help you can give me.

Ok I will think about it, it really depends on how much the new job I will be gtetting pays/ how many hours I work.

And Will the 9800 pro be able to run CS: Source?

Check out the front page of [H]ard|OCP...the are links to alot of sites and benchmarks...most have the 9800 pro in there.

Shakezilla said:
Ok I will think about it, it really depends on how much the new job I will be gtetting pays/ how many hours I work.

And Will the 9800 pro be able to run CS: Source?

o for sure

Shakezilla said:
Hi I am new to these forums and new to building comps. I am going to be building my first comp pretty soon hopefully within a month. But I am on a budget, I wana first know what you guys thinks would be the best Video Card for between 100-150 dollars, I also want to know if a card in that price range would be capable of running CS: Source at a playable speed.
Thankyou for any help you can give me.

Newegg is selling refurbished 9800 Pro 128MB 256-bit boards for $150.

I can trust a "refurbished" video card? I would prob. just spend the extra 50 then get a used card. Unless newegg really has a good return policy on refurbished goods.

Personally, I would stay away from a refurb. card...it could just be an open box return...but more than likely it's an RMA.

From neweggs website
Newegg.com does not test any product, including Refurbish items. Refurbish components are therefore only tested by the original manufacturer. Due to the varying quality of manufacturer testing, YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING REFURBISH PRODUCTS. Refurbish items are OPEN BOX products that contain components that have previously been owned by other clients and returned to Newegg.com. These products are sold considerably under cost.

Newegg.com guarantees all refurbish products for 15 days. CPUs, however, must be returned within 7 days for refund. All refurbish merchandise should be considered OEM "barebone" parts. Barebone means Newegg.com can only guarantee the item by itself, no other accessories. Despite what the product's description indicates, refurbish merchandise may not include all of the accessories mentioned on our website or the manufacturers. Newegg.com is therefore limited to the barebone part of the item itself. Please do not be upset or surprised if a refurbish product does not contain any cables, manual, software, drivers, fan, et al. Newegg.com will not send you any missing accessories, even if it is an essential part.

Newegg.com certainly does not like to discourage sales, but only experienced pc enthusiasts should consider refurbish items that know how to deal with possibly missing accessories. Please only purchase refurbish products if you are willing to resolve defects and/or know how to obtain missing accessories.

Refurbish items are not for dealers. We therefore reserve the right to cancel any applicable orders which may violate this warning. We are simply discouraging those who want to take advantage of this program as it is aimed towards the end user.

Refurbish products do have considerable higher return rate than brand new items. If you are just looking to get a good deal, please only buy new products.

YOU ARE TAKING A RISK BUYING REFURBISH PRODUCTS.

15 days isn't much...and the disclaimer doesn't give you much confidence either :eek:

I would just come up with the extra $50 and get a new 9800 pro.

only experienced pc enthusiasts should consider refurbish items that know how to deal with possibly missing accessories

That line means not for me lol

If I cannt come up with the money for a 9800pro when I build it I will prob get the 5700ultra and wait a few months and buy the best Card out then, either way I will be happy as it will play way better than my Dell integrated video BS!
Thanks for helping me out guys

PS. BURN IN HELL DELL integrated video card sucks soooooo bad

You could check the sales forum for a used 9800pro. They go for about $150-$175 and this way you can inquire about the card's condition, accessories, overclock etc...

Shakezilla said:
I can trust a "refurbished" video card? I would prob. just spend the extra 50 then get a used card. Unless newegg really has a good return policy on refurbished goods.

Might be fine. Might not. I just didn't want to assume you could spend more than the $150. For this, a 9800 pro will either be used or refurbished.

Back