Video card or CPU causing slowdown? Bad company 2 beta

Avengeance

Gawd
Ok so I have been playing Bad Company 2 beta a bit and I have noticed that I get slowdowns sometimes. Im not sure if its my vid card or not. I am running at 1680x1050 at full settings (no AA that I know of). Sometimes it drops down to probably 20 fps or something to where its almost unplayable. Other times its fine.

Here are my specs:

Core 2 E6550
4gb DDR2 Ram
Intel DG33BU Mobo
ASUS ATI 5870 1GB vid card

Any ideas? I probably need to get a quad core. Some people said they have more than doubled their FPS by switching to a quad core in the game.

I also had a slowdown on one part of Mass Effect 2.

yeah that cpu is a very large bottleneck for that 5870. you could have bought a 5850 and gotten the exact same performance because that cpu would even bottleneck that card too. BC2 is pretty cpu hungry but its also a little buggy right now on dual cores. I believe they even recommend a quad for this game. your cpu is also below the recommended requirements for Mass Effect 2 also. really you need to oc your cpu really bad as you are just throwing performance and money right down the drain.

Well I got the Vid card cause it was a pretty good deal at the time (only 50 more dollars for this over the 5850) and I plan on upgrading my comp I just dont know what to get. Been out of the loop for so long I dont even know whats good right now.

Well I got the Vid card cause it was a pretty good deal at the time (only 50 more dollars for this over the 5850) and I plan on upgrading my comp I just dont know what to get. Been out of the loop for so long I dont even know whats good right now.
IMO an i5 750 would be the route to go for a new platform.

What about going with a Q6600 or one of the non 1333mhz quard cores? Since I already have enough DDR2 memory. Not sure how much of a diff that would make though?

What about going with a Q6600 or one of the non 1333mhz quard cores? Since I already have enough DDR2 memory. Not sure how much of a diff that would make though?
well if you get one for pretty cheap then its still a good cpu. you certainly need to oc it a bit though to get the most out of it.

dfddbfg.jpg

more or less annoyed that neither CPU or GPU is getting stressed. bottleneck is your CPU though even if it's not getting close to max usage.

CPU: E8500 @ 4.1 Ghz
Vid Card: 4870 512, stock, 10.1

Res: 1680*1050 in DX 9
Textures: High
Level of Detail: High
Effects: Low
Shadows: Low
HBAO: Off
AA: 1X
AF: 16X

Back