Video card problem. Any ideas?

Avengeance

Gawd
Ok so I have a computer that is having a problem when running games. When running Rise of Legends it has problems when a lot of people are on the screen. At 1280x1024 it gets choppy and when reduced to 800x600 it does the same thing. It doesnt really get choppy like a video card. It gets choppy then speeds back up sometimes randomly. And sometimes it also stops for a few seconds. When you move the screen away it speeds up a little but its still pretty bad. I have it on the medium settings in the game. Here are the specs:

AMD Sempron 2600+
2gb of PC3200
nvidia 6200 256mb video card with 163.71 drivers
Windows XP SP2

Any ideas what would cause this? The hard drive was pulled from an older machine but it doent feel like a hard drive problem.

Did the older system you got the hard drive from have the same mobo as your newer one? If they are different you might have problems as the chipset drivers would not be correct of course. I would start there.

I formatted the hard drive after I upgraded it and put a fresh install of windows xp on it.

The Sempron 2600+ runs at 1.6GHz but only has 128k of cache and will perform similarly to the minimum spec CPU of 1.4GHz.
Have you tried reducing the game quality settings?

Have you used this hardware before to play the game?
Are you willing to overclock the CPU?

Never used this hardware to play games before. I could overclock it but its on an ECS board with an SIS chipset. This machine is for a friend who plays RTS games so I was trying to get it to work with C&C generals but it doesnt play it well.

You can buy a much better second hand CPU for the machine off ebay pretty cheap.
If you're strapped for cash, check the prices they have sold for recently and tell your mate it will cost about that much to have the PC.

Be sure to find out what CPU's others have got working on the motherboard in case it has some limitations.
ie the CPU multiplier may not go high enough, it might not support the voltage of the later chips...

A BIOS upgrade might be necessary so its a good idea to do that before removing the old CPU :)

I forgot to ask what resolution you are running at.
If its not too low already, you might want to try a lower res.
If that helps a lot, a better graphics card is needed for higher res.

He has it now. He said that no matter what res he uses it slows down sometimes. He has been playing rise of legends and he said it hasnt been too bad just sometimes in games it slows down. He runs it at 800x600 is what he told me.

Back