Video card recommendation

I'm putting together my 64 X2 system, and need video card advice.

What I've got so far:

Athlon 64 X2 4600
Asus A8V Deluxe
2 GB Kingston
and the usual drives, PS, yada yada.

The Asus A8V Deluxe was chosen because I'm not a PC gamer, so don't need the latest-greatest video card interface (whatever that is today). AGP 8X is plenty fast on my dually MP2400 system, so stuck with that.

But, it's been so long since I bought a video card for myself, I don't know what's what with all the new cards.

Like I said, I'm not a gamer, so extreme speed is not needed. I do run at 1600x1200 resolution, 16.7M color, so enough memory to cover that is needed. The card will need to be fast enough to do video output with no dropping frames / artifacting / etc. Also, dual output is needed, any combination of DB-9 and DVI is fine. It will need to be AGP 8X capable. Active or passive cooling are both fine also.

We buy Matrox at work, because the drivers are rock solid, but they're pretty expensive. At home, the machines that aren't using on-board video are all ATI, so I'm used to upgrading drivers and apps for those (sway towards ATI, but any manufacturer is welcome, long as it meets the needs). Looking to stay at or under about $150 US.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

My question kinda became a moot point, I decided I'm taking the 9600 out of my theater system and putting it in the new system

Found an old Rage Theater Pro card that should work fine in the theater system.

Thanks for the recommendations anyways!

Back