Video Card Upgrade suggestions?

Shadowssong

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I originally built my i7 system for just raw computing power and wasn't really planning on gaming, but I have picked up a few games lately (mass effect [fucking amazing game!], crysis and crysis warhead, prototype, grid) and my HD4670 that I have seems to not be able to play everything all that smoothly with the candy cranked up. I play at 1680x1050.

I was looking at the cheaper HD4870's (BTW how is Powercolor's reputation, they have a couple of cheap 4870's), and figured I would just post up and ask what you all suggested.

Also does anyone know anything about this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150441
I don't see it listed on XFX's website, and google doesn't really turn up many results.

My budget is probably under like 160$ish, as it would probably be a birthday present. I also plan on playing COD6 (but from what I hear it won't be insanely taxing on the system or anything) and also Assassins Creed II when they come out, which gives me a good month or so to choose (I would love to crank everything on AssCreed2, which I hope will be amazing!).
-I also am looking for something that has a low IDLE power, I do a lot of computer work that doesn't use the GPU and I'm always looking to cut my electric bill (utilities in my town are ridiculous!).
-Noise isn't a big problem, my Antec 900 isn't all that quiet, neither is my HyperN520 cpu cooler so if the cooler is a little louder, it is not a deal breaker, when I game I have the sound cranked up anyways!
-I don't need to play Crysis with max AA or anything, in fact, the graphics right now are fairly decent, it just lags pretty hard if anything really difficult to render comes into the screen (lots of smoke, lots of enemies, etc etc). I really probably won't even be playing Crysis that much as I have just beaten it, so I wouldn't factor in the cards performance in crysis when weighing my options.

The rest of the system spec is in the sig.

Thanks a ton, love this forum!

-Shadowssong

i've seen 4890's and 1gb 4870's going for your budget in the For Sale forum here, i wouldn't get a 512mb 4870, if you can score an XFX brand then you can easily get the warranty transferred to you aswell.

I would get 2 4850, which fits your budget if you don't mind used. 512 should be enough memory, but doesn't hurt to have full 1gb.

Powercolor is all right. However XFX is far superior to any AMD/ATI GPU manufacturer due to their lifetime warranty and great customer support. So when buying an ATI card, go with XFX.

As most people have noted so far, go with the HD4870 1GB. The HD4870 512MB isn't worth the money. If you want to save a bit more cash and don't mind used, I have seen XFX HD4870 1GB cards go for as low as $125 with free shipping in the For Sale/For Trade subforum that we have.

Though $140 for a brand new HD4870 is worth the extra $15 IMO.

If you wait a while the following should happen:

5870 and 5850 should be available and in the stores by then the price would drop for the card(s) you are looking for by somewhat more then they are at now.

This could be a good 2 to 3 weeks but if you are short on cash and do want your money's worth.

Thanks everyone, I was looking at that XFX, but the cooler design seems a bit iffy to me, my cooling is great but I would much prefer the card to just exhaust it out the back.

What about IDLE power, still suggest the HD4870?

4870 1GB or 4890 1GB would probably be ideal for you at that price range. The 4890 overclocks better than the 4870 due to new power regulation circuitry. But a 4870 1GB is still a very nice card and a worthwhile upgrade.

Here's a good one from the Egg for $137 after bing cashback.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/XFX-Ra...EAB943B5D953AB93BC3F"]&wf=Commerce&FORM=ENCA1

The egg has great return policies and service on video cards in my experience.

If you want better than stock cooling. The Vapor-X 4870 1GB is a nice card. I've used Vapor-X myself (the 4890 vapor-x edition) and I can assure you it is a very quiet card. This one goes for $152 after bing cashback, so it's a little pricier. But the quiet and cooling might be worth it to you. Sapphire's warranty is NOT as good as XFX, but within 30 days the Egg is golden on video card returns.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/SAPPHI...7D4DE6C43BA6BB1FF3BB"]&wf=Commerce&FORM=ENCA1

What about IDLE power, still suggest the HD4870?

If you want lowest idle power, you can't beat the 5800 series 27 watt idle power consumption. However a 5850 will set you back $259 which seems to be above your set budget criteria.

Last edited:
Has anyone hear anything about this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150441

XFX, no picture, no idea what kind of cooler, seems to be a little cheaper (before MIR).... mysterious!

I dont know how accurate the picture is, but in a few stores(online) looks like rear exhaust heatsink

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-143-XF

But you got some people saying the cooler is non reference, so it will be a gamble on what you get.
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=1550877

It's not worth it settling for a 512MB video card when the 1GB model is only $15 more.

I think I am going to go with the HD4870 1GB used for $120, should play Assassins Creed 2 perfectly at 1680x1050! Thanks everyone.

I've realized that even for $120 the used 4870 isn't a great deal (only $20 less than new) so I'm still on the search. The question is, will the extra 512mb help me when I'm only gaming at 1680x1050?

If not I might grab that 512mb 4870 "assuming" that the cooler is a rear exhaust design (I much prefer that design, I wish newegg still carried the rear exhaust 1gb version for $140, I would probably get that). What do you guys think?

Just get an XFX 5870, and be done w/ it for 3 years.............not a bad return for $380.

Bump, what brand do you guys suggest after XFX (don't like the cooler)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING

Options are: HIS, Sapphire, Diamond, Gigabyte, Powercolor, ASUS, MSI, VisionTek

Odd question, is there any advantage at all to running an MSI card on an MSI motherboard? I really doubt it but I figured maybe I would ask. Thanks again!

I just got the second saphire in your picture (a 4870 1gig) and its working great for me.

Just get an XFX 5870, and be done w/ it for 3 years.............not a bad return for $380.

Tad out of my price range :D I wish I could though.

I just got the second saphire in your picture (a 4870 1gig) and its working great for me.

Hows the noise/heat? I will probably end up going with a new series 5770/5750 but I am curious about this for the sake of the knowledge anyways.

i have powercolor x1950pro and it is still running strong. why not get a xfx 5850 for $259 on newegg? You might have to wait a little bit, but i belive it would be worth it.

i have powercolor x1950pro and it is still running strong. why not get a xfx 5850 for $259 on newegg? You might have to wait a little bit, but i belive it would be worth it.

Out of my budget, this isn't a saving money thing, its going to be a birthday present.

Back