Video game actor strike

I think the perception people have of voice actors is this:

They get paid hundreds of $$ per hour...when they work. Getting $278/hr is just insane.

BUT:

They bitched to get a 36% raise.

They are still bitching to get royalties on every game sold on top of everything else.

Threatened to strike to get more money.

If they only get 6 hours of work per month, they still take home more pay than the average worker who puts in 40 hours a week.

If they only work 6 hours per month, they have 154 hours they can get another job. Nothing is preventing them from getting a regular job to fill in between the voice work.

Just looking at the facts....people will resent the crap out of voice actors. If they seemed GRATEFUL to have a cool job, people wouldn't care. The public perception is that they are ungrateful and grubbing for more money on an already cake job.

Am i way off base? Is that what people think? Or just me?

Honestly, it's mediocre voice acting that's the worst. As we all know, good voice actors help in the immersion factor games, and bad voice acting gives us good laughs. Who could forget such "gems" as

You were almost a Jill sandwich!

Steve said:
I think the perception people have of voice actors is this:

They get paid hundreds of $$ per hour...when they work. Getting $278/hr is just insane.

BUT:

They bitched to get a 36% raise.

They are still bitching to get royalties on every game sold on top of everything else.

Threatened to strike to get more money.

If they only get 6 hours of work per month, they still take home more pay than the average worker who puts in 40 hours a week.

If they only work 6 hours per month, they have 154 hours they can get another job. Nothing is preventing them from getting a regular job to fill in between the voice work.

Just looking at the facts....people will resent the crap out of voice actors. If they seemed GRATEFUL to have a cool job, people wouldn't care. The public perception is that they are ungrateful and grubbing for more money on an already cake job.

Am i way off base? Is that what people think? Or just me?
You're 110.5% correct.

GForce64 said:
Honestly, it's mediocre voice acting that's the worst. As we all know, good voice actors help in the immersion factor games, and bad voice acting gives us good laughs. Who could forget such "gems" as

You were almost a Jill sandwich!

That is writing, not voice.

bonkrowave said:
I dont consider it overworked. We live in a captialistic society ... thats not going to change. So bithcing about it really isn't going to help, you just deal with it.

What is not going to change? The fact that we are overworked?

Your attitude is remarkably defeatist. Saying "Right now, we're being taken advantage of, but that's the way it is" is ridiculous. We all occasionally do extra work, mainly because we value the positive feedback we get from our leaders and customers when we do a good job. Many of us are ready to devote our entire working lives to a company, so long as we are treated fairly, and are made to feel like our contribution is valid. I would suggest that part of the reason these workers are so upset is that they are a valid part of many media types, but are not receiving any credit - monetary or otherwise.

Would you buy a game that had no voice acting? The vast majority of games require voice actors. Love them or hate them, they are a required part of creating the games you know and love. As such, they should be entitled to a percentage of the successful games they helped create. (So should the programmers, artists, etc.) The arts and games existed before proprietors and stakeholders, so my feeling is that the artists (actors, graphic artists, programmers) are more deserving of any profit and glamor their work provides.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I don't have time to read this entire thread.

I always wondered why the people who created a game didn't also do the voice acting? Then we can try and figure out which programmer/designer voiced which character...

Josh_B said:
What is not going to change? The fact that we are overworked?

Your attitude is remarkably defeatist. Saying "Right now, we're being taken advantage of, but that's the way it is" is ridiculous. We all occasionally do extra work, mainly because we value the positive feedback we get from our leaders and customers when we do a good job. Many of us are ready to devote our entire working lives to a company, so long as we are treated fairly, and are made to feel like our contribution is valid. I would suggest that part of the reason these workers are so upset is that they are a valid part of many media types, but are not receiving any credit - monetary or otherwise.

Its not defeatest its reality. I dont devote my life to work, because I find that to not be a good idea. I devote my life to my family, a job is just a job .... its not going to ask you how your day went, when you come home, or help you through hard times.

In reality your job is going to give you the boot at the end of everything and not even look back. Or replace you with someone who is cheaper and younger, thats just the way things work. It is very much worse for freelancers, who make up the large majority of voice actos. At the end of the contact you employeer says good bye and thats the end, no gold watch, no pension.
Would you buy a game that had no voice acting? The vast majority of games require voice actors. Love them or hate them, they are a required part of creating the games you know and love. As such, they should be entitled to a percentage of the successful games they helped create. (So should the programmers, artists, etc.) The arts and games existed before proprietors and stakeholders, so my feeling is that the artists (actors, graphic artists, programmers) are more deserving of any profit and glamor their work provides.
I have bought games with very poor voice acting, life farcry, or Pirates!, voice acting does not make or break a game regardless of what voice actors think. If BF2 did not have voice acting, I would still buy the game, and still love it all the same.

Voices in cartoons and games are entirely different. People who can make the voices of various cartoon characters deserve money because they actually have a fair amount of talent. The guy who recorded the voice in BF2 telling me I better get back to the combat area or I'll be shot may or may not have had a lot of talent, but the position was definitely easy (they could have just hired some retired army master sergeant).

Entirely different? Ever look at the credits of video games *or* cartoons? If you did, you'd never say something like that. Many voice-over artists do both video games and cartoons. Guys like Rob Paulsen (Raphael, TMNT; Pinky, Pinky & the Brain) do many voices in many different voice-over genres. He did voices for Baldur's Gate, and if you see one of those Honda "Mr. Opportunity" ads, that's him too.

I believe in my experience, video game voice acting is *more* difficult than animated acting. I know that view won't be popular, but consider this. One thing about VG voice-over projects is that the scripts are disjointed due to their non-linear nature, and keeping the intensity and staying in character is much more challenging than when a person has a script that has a specific flow and direction to it, like in episodic animation.

Torgo, once again, you're right. Thanks to everyone's perception, voice actors are going to be vilified. The main problem is that SAG is divided into factions right now. The executive leadership and those with the VO artists' best interests are at odds, and that is the reason for the problems like these.

I would just hope that people would be, regardless what they have read, even a little bit open-minded, because there is more to the situation than is being reported. I don't expect everyone to support voice actors, I just would hope that the apples-to-oranges comparisons would stop. No matter what light it is looked at, salaried, 9-to-5 job holders simply cannot be compared with freelance work of any kind, voice-over included.

Brad Venable

bonkrowave said:
Its not defeatest its reality. I dont devote my life to work, because I find that to not be a good idea. I devote my life to my family, a job is just a job .... its not going to ask you how your day went, when you come home, or help you through hard times.

Realize that I am not suggesting that we treat voice actors any differently than a normal worker. I am actually suggesting just that. People should realize that they SHOULD be treated like any other worker. Other workers often get benefits, residuals, and other monetary incentives for a job well done - why shouldn't voice actors?

In reality your job is going to give you the boot at the end of everything and not even look back. Or replace you with someone who is cheaper and younger, thats just the way things work. It is very much worse for freelancers, who make up the large majority of voice actos. At the end of the contact you employeer says good bye and thats the end, no gold watch, no pension.

True enough, however as you say, the life of a freelancer is not easy. How about cutting these guys some slack? They are part of the reason a game is successful, so they deserve to continue to benefit from the dividends of their work just as much as the publisher, programmer, and all other contributors.

I have bought games with very poor voice acting, life farcry, or Pirates!, voice acting does not make or break a game regardless of what voice actors think. If BF2 did not have voice acting, I would still buy the game, and still love it all the same.

Maybe, but even so, the voice actors are part of the content. I highly doubt you would actually play a game with no dialog between characters. How would the plot progress without anyone articulating a conflict?

I think we will have to respectfully disagree on this one... :D

Operadragon said:
Entirely different? Ever look at the credits of video games *or* cartoons? If you did, you'd never say something like that. Many voice-over artists do both video games and cartoons. Guys like Rob Paulsen (Raphael, TMNT; Pinky, Pinky & the Brain) do many voices in many different voice-over genres. He did voices for Baldur's Gate, and if you see one of those Honda "Mr. Opportunity" ads, that's him too.

I believe in my experience, video game voice acting is *more* difficult than animated acting. I know that view won't be popular, but consider this. One thing about VG voice-over projects is that the scripts are disjointed due to their non-linear nature, and keeping the intensity and staying in character is much more challenging than when a person has a script that has a specific flow and direction to it, like in episodic animation.

Torgo, once again, you're right. Thanks to everyone's perception, voice actors are going to be vilified. The main problem is that SAG is divided into factions right now. The executive leadership and those with the VO artists' best interests are at odds, and that is the reason for the problems like these.

I would just hope that people would be, regardless what they have read, even a little bit open-minded, because there is more to the situation than is being reported. I don't expect everyone to support voice actors, I just would hope that the apples-to-oranges comparisons would stop. No matter what light it is looked at, salaried, 9-to-5 job holders simply cannot be compared with freelance work of any kind, voice-over included.

Brad Venable
Why do artists try to make getting in character seem as difficult as finding the cure for AIDS? It's not. I would still say having to do a bunch of different, odd voices (in cartoons) would be harder than a normal voice in a game.

You must be kidding. These people want percentages of pay as would starring actors in Hollywood movies, while only contributing a tiny fraction to the production of the game. . Voice Acting by named stars is utterly insignificant to gaming. Let them strike. There is no shortage of talented voice actors outside of greed infested Lost Angeles. Most would be thrilled to make less than what the gaming industry already offered.

Here's a page with some interviews from voice actors.

Along with one of my personal favorite voice actors, Maurice LaMarche:

http://www.gotfuturama.com/Information/FuturamaStaff/VoiceActors/

While it doesn't deal with the "present" issue at end with this topic, it can give you some insight to how some voice actors work/how things are done, it's a fairly decent interview lasting about 30'ish minutes. (Lamarches's one).

I was playing BF2 today, and when I heard my commander's prerecorded voice, I was moved by the intensity and drama conveyed by his inflection. I got misty eyed as I shot someone in the head with a shotgun.

Excuse me...I need a moment to collect myself...

I was playing BF2 today, and when I heard my commander's prerecorded voice, I was moved by the intensity and drama conveyed by his inflection. I got misty eyed as I shot someone in the head with a shotgun.

Yeah....me too...that's so funny I nearly pissed myself...:) One hallmark of good voice acting is that you barely notice it. It's like the officiating in professional sports. When it's good, you'll never notice it, but when it's bad, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

I propose a reorg of their name: Video Actors of Games. (whiny)VAG(inas)

Don't try to one-up Torgo. The joke was funny until you got involved.

You must be kidding. These people want percentages of pay as would starring actors in Hollywood movies, while only contributing a tiny fraction to the production of the game. . Voice Acting by named stars is utterly insignificant to gaming. Let them strike. There is no shortage of talented voice actors outside of greed infested Lost Angeles. Most would be thrilled to make less than what the gaming industry already offered.

The problem was created by famous movie stars who realized that their normal HUGE slice of the pie wasn't guaranteed for games, so they bitched. But the real problem is that the rank-and-file SAG actors that do 90% of the work are the real actors being hurt...the ones whose residuals would be a drop in the bucket. And I agree. I have to agree, because it only helps forward my career if more nonunion talent is used. I just want the benefits of being paid for my performance when it's heard, and the greedy publishers know that if they cave on residuals for Voice-over artists, then developers' profit-sharing won't be far behind. That's the fear; that's why there's no mention of *why* the publishers won't agree to residuals...gee, I wonder why. If they broadcasted the real reason, then there goes the only ace in the hole that the publishers have. And that's the reality of the situation.

Why do artists try to make getting in character seem as difficult as finding the cure for AIDS? It's not.

Nice. Very nice. Idiot gear stuck in high. You did a bang-up job of ignoring what was actually typed. I never said that characterization was so difficult as to compare it to finding the cure for a rampaging disease. I only said it's less difficult for a person to think linearly as in a complete show script, rather than skipping around and tracking several reactions to the same line like in video games. I don't know what your profession is, but I know I'd never verbally bitch-slap it like you did mine.

I would still say having to do a bunch of different, odd voices (in cartoons) would be harder than a normal voice in a game.

That is indeed, your opinion, but if you experienced a session in-studio, you'd see that regardless of the voice, the way the script is handled by the voice-over director has a lot to do with how difficult a session is on the talent in the booth. If you did, you might see it differently. Some people barely change their voice for their cartoon voices. An example: Billy West, Fry on Futurama. I've seen him speak, and it is *very* close to his natural speaking voice. On other voices, however, he has to do special things with his face and mouth to achieve the sound necessary for a character's voice, like (in Billy's case) Porky Pig, Ren, or The Three Stooges. But for folks who have nearly perfected their craft, it probably doesn't matter, because it's as easy to slip into the voice of a character as it is to breathe for those *very* talented folks.

Brad Venable

Operadragon said:
Nice. Very nice. Idiot gear stuck in high. You did a bang-up job of ignoring what was actually typed. I never said that characterization was so difficult as to compare it to finding the cure for a rampaging disease. I only said it's less difficult for a person to think linearly as in a complete show script, rather than skipping around and tracking several reactions to the same line like in video games. I don't know what your profession is, but I know I'd never verbally bitch-slap it like you did mine.
I don't even see why it was addressed in the first place. Programmers don't make mention of the fact that working in a non-linear way, going from function to function, is probably slightly harder than writing one big function in a linear way. It's part of the job. Also, this is not really directed at voice actors as much as actors in general. I see a very prevelant "I need millions of dollars to get in character because it's so hard" attitude. And now this is boiling over into games.

Operadragon said:
That is indeed, your opinion, but if you experienced a session in-studio, you'd see that regardless of the voice, the way the script is handled by the voice-over director has a lot to do with how difficult a session is on the talent in the booth. If you did, you might see it differently. Some people barely change their voice for their cartoon voices. An example: Billy West, Fry on Futurama. I've seen him speak, and it is *very* close to his natural speaking voice. On other voices, however, he has to do special things with his face and mouth to achieve the sound necessary for a character's voice, like (in Billy's case) Porky Pig, Ren, or The Three Stooges. But for folks who have nearly perfected their craft, it probably doesn't matter, because it's as easy to slip into the voice of a character as it is to breathe for those *very* talented folks.

Brad Venable
I don't doubt that it's easy to create the voice of whoever once you've been at it for a while and if you have some talent. However, at the same time, doesn't one also need to get to that point where he or she can easily make those voices? I just can't believe for an aspiring voice actor that making odd voices for cartoons is easier than normal voices for games.

I see a very prevelant "I need millions of dollars to get in character because it's so hard" attitude. And now this is boiling over into games.

I agree on the top end, for sure. All of us bottom-feeders would just like a dollar every time our recordings are used. That's what the residuals fight is all about. It's not even *all* the games...just the ones that sell more than 300,000 units. As it were, less than 30 did that last year. That means that those (approximately) 30 games' publishers would have given out less than 1% of the gross revenue for residuals for every voice actor used on the game, and we know that some titles end up using 50+ voice-over artists, even if not all of them are union performers. When you go down the list, the amount gets watered down more and more when there are that many performers used in a game. So all in all, the residual structure would truly have been a drop in the bucket. But ce la vie...

I am sorry for misunderstanding you on that comment, and I am additionally sorry for any offence my reactionary comments caused. My apologies.

Regards,
Brad Venable

P.S. Oh yeah...I nearly forgot...(this wasn't directed at you,kick@ss) nobody was bitching over a 36% raise in studio fees, it was the fact that it's going to be 2009 before we finally get to that 36%. BDV

All you have to do to put this argument in perspective is look at Japanese video game voice actors.

1) Unlike in America, just about all (unless you're a celebrity) voice actors go to both a vocational school or college and a special voice acting school
2) These actors get paid less (unless there's special celebrity status of course) than equivalent jobs in America, even though they are more trained on average, the projects are better funded, and the cost of living is higher in Japan than the US
3) Voice actors in Japan don't frown upon working menial jobs. Even the famous and well paid ones do stuff like grocery weekly special anouncement recordings. They put in the hours, where ever they may lead. They will clock in just as many hours as you and me working the 9-5 (actually I work days-nights, but that's beside the point). These are hours clocked in, not stupid "prep/research/practice" hour crap (ie. like a teacher preparing for class) which they must also do on their own time not figured into their pay.

Back